Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Heated windshield washer fluid???

timd
01-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Saw a commercial for a Buick Lucerne and it boasted about having heated windshield washer fluid (140 degrees F, I think).
I've seen frosted windshields shatter when warm water was poured onto them. How do they avoid windshield breakage????

tman
01-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Not quite sure. I know that i keep a bottle of deicer fluid in my trunk for such occasions. an icy windshield can damage the wiper blades while there moving back and forth to remove the ice with the washer fluid. Deicer and a snow scraper work great, and use the wipers to keep the windshield clean.

LeSabre97mint
03-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Saw a commercial for a Buick Lucerne and it boasted about having heated windshield washer fluid (140 degrees F, I think).
I've seen frosted windshields shatter when warm water was poured onto them. How do they avoid windshield breakage????

I was/am wondering the same thing. I concluded that 140 isn't hot enough to break the glass??? I've been thinking about how to set up something like this on my car.

Regards

Dan

jimakers
03-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Don't know how hot it was, but when I had an 86 Saab 900S, they had an option that would route the washer fluid line across the top of the engine to warm it, to help clear ice, etc.

Loekee75
03-10-2006, 01:44 AM
I thought the glass would crack also! I always keep a squeegie in my trunk, but the heated fluid sounds convenient. I'm assuming that this feature is controlled with a heat rod (such as one found in electric water heaters) inside the washer reservoir? The engine heated type jimakers mentioned is possible also.

wrightz28
03-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Okay, well the answer is,

Take a bottle of heated washer mix at 140* on a bitterly cold winter day (single digits) and apply to the first rude neighbor's windsheild that just stole the parking spot you shoveled snow out of in front of your house.

This way if you get cought and it does break, you atleast have the scape goat of saying, "hey I love you neighbor, and I noticed your windsheild was dirty, might have caused an accident :dunno: "

wrightz28
03-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Oh, and this should probably get kicked over to the lonely Lucerne forum ?

Add your comment to this topic!