Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Grinding Noise when I turn wheel

ashypoo86
01-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Lately, whenever I turn the steering wheel, i hear a Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr grinding noise only when I turn, What could be my problem? Could it be a bad wheel bearing?

xeroinfinity
01-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Lately, whenever I turn the steering wheel, i hear a Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr grinding noise only when I turn, What could be my problem? Could it be a bad wheel bearing?

Hey ashypoo86. From what you are describing it sounds lik the bearing/hub assembly. You'd probley want to get this fixed asap! Could lock up the wheel if it gets to badly worn.
They are expensive though depending on where you liv, around 110$ each, and you really should change both fronts at the same time to prevent premature wear on the old bearing/hub assembly.

I guess it could be your brakes too, but they tend to grind when braking or all the time. Does it grind more when you brake? If so it might just be the brakes need replaced. or does it stop when you brake? That would be the bearing.

Hope this helps, let us know if you hav more trouble.

zirb
01-20-2006, 12:38 AM
yep its the hub. Just had to change mine on a 99. Was making the same sound. Got mine from National Auto parts. 1-800-428-4300 $95.00. Napa shot me a price of $250.00 Gm was $279.00. The one from National was a timken.

icemike89
01-20-2006, 02:13 AM
Mine does that on really cold starts but goes away when my car warms up. It could be the power steering pump because at the same time there is like a whining noise coming directly from my ps pump when I press the throttle. Both noises go away within minutes of driving

chrisbmechanic
01-22-2006, 08:43 AM
check the power steering fluid first my 2001 was doing that and i need fluid but thats all it took ok

Add your comment to this topic!