Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 civic dx cat problem

02dx4me
01-19-2006, 03:24 PM
hey all, i have an 02 dx coupe and i got a malfunction indicator light....diag. machine said code 34 cat. converter..went to honda and they said it needs a new cat converter and luckily its still warranteed,but...why does a civic with 62K miles need one? Sounds like misfire problem....i was hoping someone has experience with this problem and can tell me what to look for...thanx

Smoghog
01-19-2006, 05:50 PM
hey all, i have an 02 dx coupe and i got a malfunction indicator light....diag. machine said code 34 cat. converter..went to honda and they said it needs a new cat converter and luckily its still warranteed,but...why does a civic with 62K miles need one? Sounds like misfire problem....i was hoping someone has experience with this problem and can tell me what to look for...thanx

Your Honda dealer is wanting your money. your converter might be fine. What is happening is your post cat 02 sensor is either bias or slow. This O2 sensor responds to the oxygen left over after the cat. I would have this 02 sensor checked before replacing the cat. Which by the way is what they should of done.

$5 says its the 02 sensor, but if the cat is infact bad ask them to test the pre 02 sensor before you repl the cat. If your pre 02 is bad it will take out the cat.

Gotta luv a warranty
SH

Add your comment to this topic!