Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can I swap an 87 trans to a 89 engine????

bassplayer817
01-19-2006, 12:50 AM
I have an 87 jetta GL and it's transmission is brand new and I have an 89 with a new engine and I want to put the two together. Can I put the two peices together and will the engine/transmission fit back in my 87 jetta GL?

Doug Tatham
07-07-2006, 01:22 PM
88 to 92 were all about the same. I found that there were a lot of 87 parts that were the same as well. There should be an ID number on the transmissions that is cast into the casing. If they match you're in business, if not, I wouldn't take the chance.

Danyo_602
06-04-2007, 09:38 PM
do any body know if the 85 jetta trans fit a 90 jetta trans like to change it cause my trans will not let me put it to gear one or all gear all gear are the same ,but will it work do you know

moparvwfreak
08-04-2007, 12:38 AM
do any body know if the 85 jetta trans fit a 90 jetta trans like to change it cause my trans will not let me put it to gear one or all gear all gear are the same ,but will it work do you know

if you are swapping manual to manual or auto to auto should be a direct bolt in. now if you are going manual to auto or vice versa then you will need all the stuff to install it. (shifter, cables or linkage, clutch or tourqe converter, mounts, speedo cable, starter, and whatever else is needed)

Add your comment to this topic!