Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Jimmy 4 Wheel Drive Does Not Disengage

chriscarado
01-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Hello all! I have found several posts on the opposite of my problem on this forum, and they have been helpful. So, I hope someone has som help with the reverse problem... .

Over the last several months on my 1992 Jimmy, the 4 wheel drive indicator light -- near the manual transfer case lever, has been taking longer and longer to go off after I have switched out of 4 wheel drive. (Four wheel is not engaged as "it feels different" and on gravel or wet pavement I can get one rear tire to spin).

Using some earlier posts about 4 wheel drive _not_ engaging as a guide, I inspected the under-battery diaphragm. It was under vacuum and when I pulled the hose off of a connector, it the actuator "released" the cable.

Then with the ignition turned on, the 4 wheel drive indicator light light was off.

However, when I restarted the vehicle, the light came back on. And the actuator was under vacuum again.

So, my questions are:

Has anyone seen this problem before?

And does this sound like the vacuum switch on the trasfer case need to be replaced?

Overall, vacuum is good, hoses seem ok, battery was disconneted for over half hour.

Thanks!

Chris

rlith
01-19-2006, 07:06 AM
Your vac switch on top of the transfer case is probably shot. The fact that vaccume is still present in the actuator under the battery indicates this. The switch is about 15 bux in the HELP! section of your local autoparts store.

chriscarado
01-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks!

I will put a new switch in and post the results when I am done.

Chris

chriscarado
01-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Well,

Replaced it and now 4 wheel goes in out. So almost all of the problem is solved!

However, there is now a hissing vacuum leak at the switch. No matter how hard I pull the plug boot onto the switch or try to reposition the little tubes inside the plug boot that the vacuum lines connect to, I still get hissing.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!