Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oh come on!...CEL again..

directory
01-18-2006, 03:27 PM
last weekend i got the IMG replaced on both sides, along with the throttle body gasket (hey..why not, right?):icon16:

the truck drove well sunday night--all the way until this morning, when the CEL popped on.

got the codes read:
p0137- o2 sensor circuit low volts (bank 1 sensor 2)

p0157- o2 sensor circuit low volts (bank 2 sensor 2)

ok, ok, ok--now what? :banghead: could it be the IMG again or could it actually be the o2 sensors this time? the truck idles like normal, no spikes or fluctuations like before the IMG's were changed.

>sigh<--i'm just going to go buy a code reader and leave it in this truck...:rolleyes:

amigo-2k
01-18-2006, 03:38 PM
clean up your body grounds first.

directory
01-18-2006, 03:44 PM
how'd you know they were dirty?:rofl: :rofl:

directory
01-18-2006, 03:47 PM
how many are there? (where are they?) should i check the engine grounding points also?

marcre
01-18-2006, 03:51 PM
how many are there? (where are they?) should i check the engine grounding points also?

I've wondered this too. How exactly do you clean a ground up?

directory
01-18-2006, 04:08 PM
hell, might as well just replace them all. go get some 4 gauge power wire and switch them all out...

ok, not really...but could be a cool "upgrade" (unless it's near the engine :icon16: )

as far as body grounds...i have no idea..not that i have any idea about engine grounds either...:rolleyes:

directory
01-18-2006, 04:18 PM
would it matter that this morning i was driving into a head wind doing about 80 with the rpms up around 2500-3000?

would that even matter?

amigo-2k
01-18-2006, 04:37 PM
I think the main ground goes to the alt bracket.

one to the body on the pass wheelwell and a couple on the intake (metal part).

To clean you just remove then, ruff them up with a little sandpaper and then reinstall.

also, clean up the battery terminals too (same method).

directory
01-18-2006, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=amigo-2k]one to the body on the pass wheelwell and a couple on the intake (metal part).[QUOTE]

ahh..i think i seeing a trend here....

why do i think they aren't connected correctly???:uhoh:

rodeo02
01-18-2006, 05:26 PM
The sensor 2's are the downstream of the cat sensors. They just monitor catalyst functionality. I'd think You'd get a no activity code if they were 'unplugged'. Maybe the fuel trim is still recalibrating itself after the IMG replacement?!? I'd clear the codes & see if they come back. The bank X, sensor 2 codes are only triggered under a specific set of driving conditions. Something like a steady 45mph on a level surface, constant throttle position, for X amount of minutes, etc. I also saw a post on an F150 board that an *aggresive* throttle body cleaning can push enough cleaner thru the cats to clean them out in some cases! Might be something to try if the codes come back.

G/luck
Joel

directory
01-18-2006, 05:35 PM
I also saw a post on an F150 board that an *aggresive* throttle body cleaning can push enough cleaner thru the cats to clean them out in some cases! Might be something to try if the codes come back.

aggressive?? are we talking bottles of this stuff?

rodeo02
01-18-2006, 05:58 PM
I think the guy basically used a whole can of intake spray cleaner. Nothing too serious:icon16: .

Joel

directory
01-19-2006, 12:23 PM
so i walked out to the truck after work yesterday (yes, i sit on here at work all day...:evillol: )

i thought to myself..check the obvious before pulling out the tools--so i tightened the gas cap...:rolleyes:

on the way home the CEL went out. i didn't see it on the way in to work today either...

would that really cause the codes to fire?? and is it really done--or should i expect the light to show again next week, say around this time...:uhoh: :rolleyes:

rodeo02
01-19-2006, 04:46 PM
The gas cap wouldn't have anything to do with oxygen sensor codes. The bank x sensor 2 codes take a specific driving sequence to lock in again. Hopefully it wont come back!

G/luck
Joel

Add your comment to this topic!