HELP PLEASE! Hard Start!

steamer482
01-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Last time I promise to jog every ones minds for the past helpful advice at there. I recent changed the oil pump, replaced both valve head gaskets, and intake gaskets. Had some difficulty setting the distributor and timing since on the 97 jimmy its computer controlled. Set the timing and distributor. Fired up the truck, and had a difficult timing starting. But the truck started. Once running has ran great until the next time it goes to start up. I have been told that it will go away after time with driving, which I think is a bunch of crap. Its now the 3rd day of having the truck back and same deal. Hard timing getting the engine to turn over. The service engine light has been on and plan to see what the code is. Is is possible that may be a loose or damaged vacuum line? What other ways are there to set the timing since its automatic. Pulled the number 1 spark plug in relation to the 1 on the distibutor and set the timing. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

BlueMonster
01-18-2006, 01:25 PM
I am not sure if this is the same for your Jimmy, but with most GM vehicles there is a specific routine needed to "relearn" the idle. You should probably follow that routine.

Check for vacuum leaks, and perhaps check the compression to make sure that you actually installed the new head gaskets successfully and they are not leaking.

In your post you said "Its now the 3rd day of having the truck back and same deal. Hard timing getting the engine to turn over." Does that mean that you are having a hard time getting the starter to rotate the engine, or that the engine just takes a while to get started?

steamer482
01-18-2006, 02:12 PM
What I mean is that it takes the engine about 4 0r 5 very slow turns to get going. The starter is doing its job. I am thinking perhaps when will put the distributor back in, it may be a tooth of. Once the truck is running, its runs great!

MT-2500
01-18-2006, 02:51 PM
I hate to break the news to you but. The timing is not adjustable on it.:grinyes:
Turning the dist even if you can turn it only sets the cam retard - or + degrees.
Or other words centers the rotor to the plug wire terminal.
You need to get it on a good eng capable scanner and read the camshaft retard. and set it as close to 0 degrees - or + as you can.
MT:lol:

BlueMonster
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Ok. Let's think for a sec about this:

1) It takes 4 or 5 "slow turns" to get it going.
2) Hard timing getting the engine to turn over.

So why not start with the basics, rather than blaming the timing which is controlled by the computer?

Try to turn the engine with a j-bar or ratchet on the crank pulley. It might be that something is messed up in the engine itself. If that turns ok, check your battery. You might simply have a battery that's crapping out and as a result the starter can't turn the engine as fast as it should. If that checks out, have your starter load tested at a local parts store. If all that fails, then start looking at the computer stuff. No sense messing with settings that were never changed when the problem is somewhere else. Because once you fix the real problem, then you will have to adjust everything back to the way it was, which might prove to be more difficult.

Of course, if you want to spend the $, you could just take it to the dealer and have them run a diagnostic on it. But who wants to spend $ on that? :)

Add your comment to this topic!