Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Retarded first time Honda owner

Accordean
06-13-2002, 10:18 PM
Howzit enthusiasts? I am a first time Honda owner and I have a really retarded question for you. I drive a 92 Accord LX and have been having some problems with the coolant system. I popped open the hood and noticed that there are two radiator fans!? My instinct tells me that both should be on when the thermostat trips them yet only one runs when I shut the car off. I'm assuming that because the fan fronting the engine is not on (driver side), it causes the block to overheat. A dear (and not so smart) friend told me however that this fan is dedicated to run when the car is running, and the other when it is off. Is he right? Or is he just as retarded as I am? Thanks for your help!

1992civic
06-13-2002, 10:24 PM
man freak what he said. i have my fans running all the time... now that its summer time, i need the temperature down to a minimum.. its better for your car. just have your fans set to run at all times. believe me, you'll thank me...

Barwick
06-14-2002, 08:58 AM
if its anything like my Civic, have you noticed you have 2 "radiators" too? One is the AC condenser and the other is the radiator.

DVSNCYNIKL
06-14-2002, 09:16 AM
Your two fans are working properly. One stays on when the engine is on and the other is used when additional cooling is needed. It also stays on a few minutes after shut off to cool your engine down.

hondaman-iac
06-14-2002, 09:21 AM
nah, the fans work just right. mine does the same thing. sometimes after a i stop the engine both of them run depending on hoe hot it is outside

Accordean
06-15-2002, 12:25 AM
Thanks for your help guys.... It wasn't the fans afterall. I figured a Haynes manual would be a wise investment so I went to Checker's, bought one, and found the problem: The hose coming out of the "Fast Idle thermo-valve" cracked and was spewing coolant all over the back of the block. I don't know why I didn't see the crack in the first place. The three inch hose cost $4.00 at Napa, clamps and all. Oops.

VTECseoul
06-20-2002, 06:22 AM
good job, way to go...you have done more for your car than most 1/2 these ppl. buying the book & DIY, Do It Yourself. Much Respect, Much Respect

Add your comment to this topic!