Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Burning rubber makes my car jump...

Cain98Eclipse
01-17-2006, 03:27 PM
I was out today and my friend wanted to see if my car would burn the tires. So I gassed it and my car started jumping. Am I doing something wrong. I have never tried to burn out in a standard so I dont know how, I let off the clutch and hit the gas. That sounds right to me, or is there something else or something wrong with my car?

xavier3jr
01-17-2006, 03:46 PM
thats called wheel hop its normal

Digitaleuphoria
01-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Yep, as he ^ said. It's a weird sensation. I drove a camaro all my life, when I got my eclipse and felt it for the first time it drove me insane. Now that my eclipse is down, I miss everything about it, including the wheel hop :(

ez1286
01-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Stiffer motor mounts will help, also some front suspension would help too. The motor mounts will make the car shake a little more at idle.

2006 ECLIPSE GT
01-17-2006, 04:38 PM
i don't think its normal. how r your motor mounts? when i first got my gs it would jump alittle when i would burn out. as time past the jumping got worst. it came to a point when i would just take off normal, the car would jump....i thought it was a bad ball joint or something from the wheel but everything was fine. i checked my front and back mounts and they where all fucked up....well, i replaced them and now no jumping.

-Josh-
01-17-2006, 04:43 PM
FWD+Burn out= Hopping

2006 ECLIPSE GT
01-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Yep, as he ^ said. It's a weird sensation. I drove a camaro all my life, when I got my eclipse and felt it for the first time it drove me insane. Now that my eclipse is down, I miss everything about it, including the wheel hop :(

how could u miss the wheel hop?:screwy: that shit would drive my fuckin insane.:banghead:

2006 ECLIPSE GT
01-17-2006, 04:45 PM
bad motor mounts+burn outs=hopping

xavier3jr
01-17-2006, 04:51 PM
dude u sound like an idiot its not because bad motor mounts or any of that shit

the stock motor mounts are rubbery whitch makes the motor move some whitch in there for makes the car feel like it hops so just shut up before u imbaras urself even more every eclipse besides an AWD has wheel hop

ez1286
01-17-2006, 04:52 PM
i don't think its normal. how r your motor mounts? when i first got my gs it would jump alittle when i would burn out. as time past the jumping got worst. it came to a point when i would just take off normal, the car would jump....i thought it was a bad ball joint or something from the wheel but everything was fine. i checked my front and back mounts and they where all fucked up....well, i replaced them and now no jumping.
Thats because it was a gs......

GTPSPEED
01-17-2006, 05:01 PM
i drive a 98 gs and i can "burnout" in sand and water hahaha and thats it i can chirp them hahah ok enough but back to the point he is right wheel hop is normal,what do we all have bad mounts lol mine does it in the rain(water)and it scares the shit out of me i think my car will break something else or fall the fuck apart . know what i do to solve this problem=stoped spinning the tires

GTPSPEED
01-17-2006, 05:01 PM
i drive a 98 gs and i can "burnout" in sand and water hahaha and thats it i can chirp them hahah ok enough but back to the point he is right wheel hop is normal,what do we all have bad mounts lol mine does it in the rain(water)and it scares the shit out of me i think my car will break something else or fall the fuck apart . know what i do to solve this problem=stoped spinning the tires

2006 ECLIPSE GT
01-17-2006, 05:08 PM
so your saying a fwd eclipse can't burn out with out it jumping. that fuckin stupid. my shit hasen't jumped since i fix the mounts with the stock rubbery ones.

AbsoluteGTR
01-17-2006, 05:32 PM
It does make sense that every FWD drive car would hop when proceeding to burn out, but then again the motor mounts in my eclipse need to be changed (I think, not sure how to check...lol)

crunchymilk55
01-17-2006, 06:07 PM
This is simple wheelhop. It is VERY damaging to your suspension so if you start to wheelhop, get off the gas, unless you want to buy a new suspension. However, stiffer motor mounts (I run the prothanes) will reduce this. In fact the other day I was finishing off my old clutch doing some burnouts and I didn't wheelhop whatsoever. I'd recommend them if you ever do any stop racing and you're FWD.

GTPSPEED
01-17-2006, 07:43 PM
well then i guess your the only one 2006 eclipse gt unless you upgrade the mounts like he said then all of us have wheel hop,maybe you have a magical eclipse,not mine

UncaringMrBC
01-17-2006, 08:22 PM
my 92 tsi never hopped until the motor mounts went bad and the struts....im sure that once i get prothane and lower stiffer struts it wont hop at all like it used to do...this is only my idea though i have yet to test it....

xavier3jr
01-17-2006, 08:27 PM
like i have already stated the stock motor mounts are rubery kinda just because u have wheel hop does not mean they are bad!!!!! stiffer mounts will reduce wheel hop!!!!!

UncaringMrBC
01-17-2006, 09:11 PM
im just sayin that my stocks didnt jump until they were bad...

AbsoluteGTR
01-17-2006, 09:20 PM
In fact the other day I was finishing off my old clutch doing some burnouts and I didn't wheelhop whatsoever.

LMAO, sorry, but I found that pretty funny. I know I am a dork!:icon16:

Shpyder
01-17-2006, 09:32 PM
After the engine swap, we put in prothane mounts in my spyder. Before, with the stock motor and stock mounts, I'd get wheel-hop any time the car lost traction (usually 1st gear). Now, after the swap, I chirp tires all the way up near redline, in as high a gear as 3rd. No wheel-hop what so ever. I highly reccomend prothane to help cure wheel-hop.

Cain98Eclipse
01-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Ok thanks everyone. I bought this car off a guy used but in great shape everything was stock never changed anything, and he bought it new. So it was taking good care of and I am sure that he still has the same stock mounts. So I will check that out first but the suspension will just have to wait untill I get some money. Im to poor and broke to mess with that right now. So as for now I will just not spin the tires untill I can get some new mounts. But thanks alot for all the help!

Digitaleuphoria
01-18-2006, 07:05 AM
how could u miss the wheel hop?:screwy: that shit would drive my fuckin insane.:banghead:

Hehe, didnt mean it literally, just meant I miss my eclipse. Should have it fixed sometime this week though, then I can go out and have a good old time with wheelhop :p

That thought fills me with glee.....

2006 ECLIPSE GT
01-18-2006, 11:15 AM
like i have already stated the stock motor mounts are rubery kinda just because u have wheel hop does not mean they are bad!!!!! stiffer mounts will reduce wheel hop!!!!!

no shit stiffer mounts will reduce wheel hop. all im saying is that if his car is jumping like crazy then he probably has shitty mounts. we don't know how bad his car was jumping and what condition his car is in...i guess it could have been normal wheel hop or it could be fucked up mounts. don't think normal wheel hopping could be the only problem why his car is jumping, smart guy.

2006 ECLIPSE GT
01-18-2006, 11:18 AM
well then i guess your the only one 2006 eclipse gt unless you upgrade the mounts like he said then all of us have wheel hop,maybe you have a magical eclipse,not mine

i wish my eclipse was magical. that car put me though hell.

Shpyder
01-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Guys, come on, back to the topic please. This isn't kindergarten, so keep personal attacks limited to PMs. Keeping our forum tidy is everyone's responsibility. (I have DSMTuners syndrome).

clipsekid99
01-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Guys, come on, back to the topic please. This isn't kindergarten, so keep personal attacks limited to PMs. Keeping our forum tidy is everyone's responsibility. (I have DSMTuners syndrome).

Is that where you've been? Hehe you haven't been on here in a while, or msn.

GTPSPEED
01-18-2006, 01:29 PM
mine isn't magical,its slow .But i have to say i do love my car n/t or not i love how low it is,i like how it drives,looks many things but also stuff i dont like wheel hop,door handles as you all know,i dont like how the heat isn't really meant for the passenger,i dont like the lifter tic,i dont like pathetic power from a red light do to the fact its auto,but i still love my ride,and shpyder your car is beyond words if i could dream up the looks of my favorite eclipse yours is it.

cficare68
01-18-2006, 01:41 PM
I've had 2 mitsubishi's The 01 Gt Eclipse I have now and a 97 3000GT that I totaled a few years back. Both of them had wheel hop. I even had to replace the motor mounts in the 3000GT because they broke on me. I replaced them with OEM motor mounts and still had the wheel hop. Wheel Hop is normal.

Shpyder
01-19-2006, 02:16 AM
Is that where you've been? Hehe you haven't been on here in a while, or msn.

Well, kinda. I was working 70 hours a week since New Year's day (minting that dough before spring semester started). And I blew it all on a 42" HDTV, a DVD player, and an XB0x 360 with Quake 4 and Halo 2. You know youre a DSMer when, in the middle of playing Halo 2, all you can think about how you couldve spent all that dough on DSMlink and some air/fuel upgrades on your car. :banghead:

shpyder your car is beyond words if i could dream up the looks of my favorite eclipse yours is it.

Thankyou, that's very much appreciated. I have two final touches for the exterior.. a rear lip, and a light-bar (Saleen-style). I should be done with making it look pretty after that! :smokin:

xavier3jr
01-19-2006, 02:35 AM
I don't have wheel hop in 1st gear it spins them pritty well, but in 2nd gear it hops like a bitch!

off topic

Sphyder-halo 2 is awsome ive already beat it and i loved it

EDMUND65
01-19-2006, 08:57 AM
theres certain times when i can catch my car when it doesnt wheel hop and times when it does... so i dont know about it yet, but i wanna put new syncro's in first and second, i have 3 tranny's to try it on lol... ever play half life 2?

Add your comment to this topic!