Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car running cold...

xxervio
01-17-2006, 11:32 AM
I am pretty sure it's the thermostat i need to replace. Just want to get opinions. Sometimes the car is taking a while for the car to warm up, also when i drive it the temp guage drops down towards the cold side and then raises back up. I went over to my parents and had the car sitting idle for a bit and the temp guage was about 1/4 away from the C side. Also Where exactly is the thermostat located so i can change it out?

2002 zx2

pre98zetec
01-17-2006, 05:12 PM
if the thermostat was bad the car would run hot

RahX
01-17-2006, 05:26 PM
not necessarily, the thermostat can be reacting slowly and not closing all the way or it could be broken and not letting the coolant warm up before letting it cycle.

pre98zetec
01-18-2006, 09:42 PM
not necessarily, the thermostat can be reacting slowly and not closing all the way or it could be broken and not letting the coolant warm up before letting it cycle.even if it was open all the time why would it be running cold? (should be running normal)

if it was stuck closed (the car would run hot) because there no coolant circulating

my temp guage always read cool even if it was hot, wasnt the thermostat it was the coolant temp. censor

RahX
01-18-2006, 11:47 PM
if youve ever run a vehicle without a thermostat you would know that the thing will never warm up and it gets hot spots. the thermostat closes when the coolant temp gets to a certain temp and opens when the temp is high enough. so one that is stuck open or sometimes not closing would keep the engine from warming up. however, a bad CTS could still be the problem but a thermostat is cheap and fairly easy to replace. how is the heat in the car?

xxervio
01-22-2006, 12:39 PM
the heat in my car goes along with the temp guage. When the temp gauge needle falls to the cold side the air in my car even on hot goes cooled. when the needle goes back up so does the heat.

Anyone tell me where the thermostat is located trying to chnge this out today.

thank you

Timtickle
02-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Replace the temostatt with a 195 temp from any place other then autozone. If you follow the top radiator hose back to the plastic housing with 3 bolts securing it. Its under the housing.
Also, anyone that reads this site, dont listen to sk8ter_in_ny, hes an idiot.

pre98zetec
02-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Also, anyone that reads this site, dont listen to sk8ter_in_ny, hes an idiot.:rofl:

SupaMan89T
02-12-2006, 12:43 PM
uh if the thermostat is stuck closed the car will run hot not cold

WHICH IS WHY LOTS OF HOT RODDERS IN FLORIDA RUN NO THERMOSTAT BECAUSE ITS HOT AS HELL ANYWAYS.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system2.htm

here learn something before you call people idiots.

Add your comment to this topic!