Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

01 Rodeo Front Wheels Buckle under tight turns

dannyd74
01-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Whenever I make a tight turn and slow speeds, it's almost like one of the wheels isn't turning sharp enough, and the wheels start to buckle. This happens in both directions (forward/reverse), but is most noticeable going forward. My guess is the inside wheel isn't turning sharp enough, but I'm not sure. Has anyone experienced this? I lose some of my turning radius as the vehicle seems to have to push and slide the tire around. This makes for embarrassing turns in the grocery store parking lot...
I also hear an occasional pop from the steering arms when I take hard right turn at higher speeds...
Any ideas?

Canucklehead
01-17-2006, 09:55 AM
In 2WD or 4WD?

dannyd74
01-17-2006, 10:03 AM
2wd...

Canucklehead
01-17-2006, 11:05 AM
What you are describing sounds as if you are in 4WD and trying to make a tight turn on dry pavement. Since the front differential doesn't allow the wheels to turn at different speeds the wheel on the inside of the turn tends to bind up. Seeing as you are in 2WD though this shouldn't be an issue unless your Rodeo has TOD and it's acting up.

Have you tried looking at the front end as someone else tries to reproduce the problem? It may be very obvious once you are out of the vehicle and observing how the front end reacts. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful though.:)

dannyd74
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
I agree with your post. It does feel like 4x4 is engaged, although not as severe. I definitely know when it is in 4x4.

amigo-2k
01-17-2006, 03:23 PM
my guess is your sway bar is rubbing the shock when turning.

Get under the truck and look for rub marks on the shock.

dannyd74
02-28-2006, 11:24 AM
I had a friend watch as a made the tight turn, and nothing appeared to be out of the ordinary. I've also noticed that the tires are rubbing quite a bit more on the mud flaps than they ever used to. I normally have some minor rubbing on the mudflaps when turning tightly, but it is getting worse. Any ideas?
-and there didn't appear to be any rub marks on the shocks.

directory
02-28-2006, 05:32 PM
it could be that you shocks are getting older/ worn...so sagging might have happened. this could lead to rubbing

Gizmo42
02-28-2006, 07:39 PM
The rubbing on the mud flaps getting worse and the pop sound when turning makes me think control arm bushings. I hope thats not the case, I'm about to find out some time in the near future how much of a pain those are to replace.

The rubbing and steering problems could just be the front end out of alignment also. The pop could be from something totally different. Maybe ball joints causing both (?).

I would have a shop check the alignment (usually doesnt cost much if they just check it) and also check out the suspension components.

Cat Fuzz
03-04-2006, 10:36 AM
it could be that you shocks are getting older/ worn...so sagging might have happened. this could lead to rubbing

Shocks don't support the weight of the vehicle in any way. You could remove them totally and the vehicle would sit at the exact same height. :grinyes:

dannyd74
05-08-2006, 12:31 PM
The vehicle came with aftermarket wheels that appear to have a different offset than stock. The wheels stick out about 1-2" wider than the stock wheels do. I can gauge this by the mud flaps and their orientation to the tires. On stock wheels, the mud flaps are centered on my tires. With these wheels, the tires extend out an extra inch and a half.
With that said, is it possible this could be damaging anything or be the cause of my problems? It cotinues to get worse and I'm worried that the added stress of a wider stance could be damaging steering or suspension items.
Any feedback?
I do have the stock wheels to put back on...

Add your comment to this topic!