Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

problems starting in cold Nissan 200SX

rdeckert
01-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Okay, I guess I figured if I provided as much info as possible, I might be able to get some help. I own a 1986 Nissan 200SX. First off, my car won't start when it gets too cold (usually under about 40 degrees). When it's warm out, it gives me little or no trouble at all. Sometimes when it's warm I just have to turn it over a few times and it'll start right up. When it's cold, the only way i can get it to start is by spraying a shit ton of jump start fluid into the carburetor. When it's already ran for at least 20 minutes and the block is warmed up, it'll start right back up agian if I shut it off (unless of course I let it cool down). If I jump it off of another car, it'll start after like 4 or 5 tries (my guess is the jump is warming up the car enough to start it). Now, some people suggested it may just be my carburetor. I really don't know though. I've used fuel injector cleaner, replaced spark plugs and spark plug wires, and the coils are good as well. The only possibility I could think of would be the cold start being bad, which is why it only starts up in the warmth (because the fuel is warmed up) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nissan_240sx
01-17-2006, 01:38 AM
your fuel filter might be clogged.
check your Distributor/cap/rotor.

am I goin crazy or did I just see this post awhile ago..

corning_d3
01-17-2006, 01:51 AM
Starting with a jumpstart indicates a weak battery. If the battery is too weak, there won't be any voltage left to properly fire the spark plugs and operate other electric stuff while your cranking..

nissan_240sx
01-17-2006, 01:54 AM
yeah might want to look at your batt. before anything else. I was gonna add that on. lol

rdeckert
01-20-2006, 04:28 PM
I just bought a new battery actually. It's got 700 CCA. So I know that's not the problem now. And about the fuel filter, would there still be fuel on both lines going to and from the fuel filter if the filter was bad? I'm not even too sure if it's a temperature problem anymore. It's gotten decently warm out here and it's still giving me trouble. I can still spray some Ether into the throttle body and it'll start it up, but it will die after like 10-20 seconds (depending on how much I spray in).

nissan_240sx
01-21-2006, 02:30 AM
yeah fuel will still be in the lines, but the flow gets pretty restrictive depending on how clogged the filter is.

corning_d3
01-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Have your battery load tested. I'm not convinced it's good. I've bought new batteries that I had to swap in the parking lot b/c they were bad. If it's a carb'd engine, i doubt a new fuel filter will solve your problem. Make sure fuel is getting to the carb. bowl..

JD_adaM
01-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Might need a new starting system or you could have a ground problem

rdeckert
02-06-2006, 02:52 AM
Found somethin out, I'm somewhat retarded now I guess. It's not carbureted. I just thought it was because that's what it looked like...exactly like. It's only fuel injected. The fuel injectors are located inside the throttle body. I thought the throttle body was the carburetor. So I was wrong. I know it's not that batter because I've tried a few different good ones.

How do I check if the fuel filter is bad though? Just get a new one? I mean one for my car is like less than 20 bucks. Any new info would be awesome.

corning_d3
02-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Since it is TBI, I would replace the fuel filter. TBI systems usually run fairly high pressures, so a new filter may do some good. There's no real inspection procedure for a fuel filter, but every time i change mine, I'll use a pipe cutter to open up the filter. It gives you an idea of whats going on with your pump and such. Any brass inside the filter indicates worn pump bearings..

Add your comment to this topic!