Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Rodeo starting problems - linked to Alarm?

hroark7
01-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey all - I just got done fixing my rear wiper yesterday by swapping out a relay on the alarm controller as described by some on this board. I checked the functionality, and all the wipers were working as well as the alarm, so I didn't jack up the control board when I was soldering. Unfortunately, when I went to start it back up, it wouldn't start. It cranks, but won't turn over. Whenever I stop cranking and go back to "on", I hear a whir and click (from the starter and solenoid, I'm guessing). So I think my starter is still working.

I figured it might be my battery, so I charged that overnight and tried again with the same result. I tested the voltage at both the terminals and past the terminals and it's consistent - so it isn't a bad connection at the battery.

I figured that maybe it was somehow related to the relay I swapped out on the alarm control unit (since that was the only thing I touched), so I dished out $200 for a new one today from Honda - and still have the same result.

So anyways - this is a completely new problem - the only problem my Rodeo was exhibiting before this was the fuel sending unit issue (funny gas gauge readings). It's got 84K miles on it and nothing else seems to be the matter. I'm going to get the battery load-tested professionally tomorrow. Any other ideas?

rodeo02
01-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Can you smell fuel when the starter is cranking the engine over? I'd start by checking the fuel pump relay.

G/luck
Joel

hroark7
01-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Yup - I smelled fuel - I was actually worried that by cranking it so many times in a row I might flood the engine...

BTW - I also checked all the fuses and swapped positions of all vital fuse box relays (took the ones from AC and heater and replaced the ones for ECM, ignition and fuel pump)

soooo frustrating....

hroark7
01-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Update: load tested it and it passed @Autozone - so it's probably not the battery. Going to clean the starter solenoids and probably check to make sure the fuel pump is getting voltage

Add your comment to this topic!