Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

is CAI worth it?

ruffio1842
01-16-2006, 03:38 PM
is a CAI intake worth the extra 100 bucks over the short ram intake? Are the gains at lower Rpms worth spending an extra 100 bucks? thanks

dopenoze
01-17-2006, 08:24 AM
No. CAI=hydrolock.

pepsihatman
01-17-2006, 11:10 AM
No. CAI=hydrolock.

Now that really depends on so many factors. I've had a CAI for more than a year now, driven in the rain, and never had a problem. You just have to be a little more careful of puddles. From what I understand, the filter has to be almost submerged to pick up enough water for your engine to hydrolock.

To answer your question ruffio1842, I personally went with a CAI because I like the design better. Either one will give you similar gains in power from what I've heard. This subject is still debated much in the automotive performance world. Again, either one will make the car more fun to drive, and give it an awesome sound.

Schister66
01-17-2006, 12:41 PM
dude, basically just get one and call it a day. You're not really going to see that big of a gain anyway so i wouldn't think about it too hard or spend too much. The crappy ones you get on Ebay are going to do pretty much the same as a $300 AEM one. The AEM might give you a fraction more power, but take a dump before you go drive and that evens it out.

If you're looking for more power, save your money and get a new IM, TB, cams and a header......or do like me and BOOST :devil:

WReX
01-17-2006, 01:39 PM
why not just buy a k/n drop in filter? i will be just as effective imho

ruffio1842
01-17-2006, 03:02 PM
thanks for the help guys

Schister66
01-17-2006, 05:04 PM
why not just buy a k/n drop in filter? i will be just as effective imho

not a bad idea...you're not going to see much from any of the afore mentioned systems and this one doesn't require you to buy a bunch of new parts....

HontegraGSI
01-19-2006, 01:58 AM
i think the k&n intakes are as effective as the aem cai. cai IMO are definitely not worth it. It puts your engine at risk for hydrolock, lowers your rpm and having a rougher idle, and doesn't make a huge difference in power. The only positive thing about cai is that cool sucking sound!

dopenoze
01-19-2006, 08:35 AM
I agree with honda gsi. when i first got my intake, car kept shutting off b/c of the rough idle. also my car shut off in jacksonville the other da b/c it sucked in so much water on the interstate. i switched to a short ram this past weekend......the cool sucking sound just wasnt worth it.

pepsihatman
01-19-2006, 12:23 PM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about with problems with idle. Never had a single problem with that. *shrug* maybe I'm just lucky.

Schister66
01-19-2006, 02:17 PM
i think people are just whiners....get a damn CAI or w/e...they're pretty much all the same so don't buy into the ridiculous $300 ones! Get one-----> call it a day~!

gnushit
01-20-2006, 01:02 PM
dude, basically just get one and call it a day. You're not really going to see that big of a gain anyway so i wouldn't think about it too hard or spend too much. The crappy ones you get on Ebay are going to do pretty much the same as a $300 AEM one. The AEM might give you a fraction more power, but take a dump before you go drive and that evens it out.
:werd:. i don't think the aem would even give you more power than the ebay ones. the ebay ones are designed exactly like the name brand parts but probably not as rigid. people get name brand just for the "bling factor" (that's why i got all comptech :iceslolan ). remember, a cai will not get you that much power if you don't upgrade your header and exhaust with it.

-)EIB(-hoysh[pl]KL
01-22-2006, 04:14 PM
if you a feel of what it would sound like take the top of your airbox off

Schister66
01-22-2006, 05:26 PM
what the hell is your SN?? ^^

IcESouL
01-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Just buy a intake. CAI between different companys isn't much you have to think about it this way it's just a tube with a name on it. The hp gains are close to nothing. As for the hyrolock thing thats pretty hard to do. Your filter has to be submerged in water which means either your a moron or got into a bad situation aka a flood which you shouldn't be driving in away. my :2cents:

bennybenster
01-23-2006, 03:28 PM
I just bought a CAI from ebay for $34 shipped. I wasn't about to pay $210+shipping for an AEM CAI or $110+shipping for a short ram. Only thing about getting the Ebay CAI is that I'll have to switch in the stock box whenever SMOG comes around but that's like 30 minutes every 2 years (if that). Haven't driven the car yet since I'm still waiting for parts I ordered to get in but I'm sure it will perform the same as the AEM CAI.

adv4nced53
01-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Hell yeah its worth it. It sounds good, performance is better than short ram, and it works better with major upgrades such as turbo. Just make sure you get the one for your car and install it right, and then be careful in the rain/snow.

sameintheend01
01-24-2006, 02:52 AM
unless your state inspects your car under the hood, then you don't even need to change it for smog tests. it does not change your smog results at all.

ruffio1842
01-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Hell yeah its worth it. It sounds good, performance is better than short ram, and it works better with major upgrades such as turbo. Just make sure you get the one for your car and install it right, and then be careful in the rain/snow.

yea but is it worth an extra 100+ bucks that could be used for something else?

eurobeaner
01-24-2006, 02:50 PM
CAI... YES! get an ebay $40 one... you really want to know what i think the $40 ones are... i think there the mess ups that aem produces... like when i got mine, the end was bent just a little and had a little dent in it... so, i think aem inspects them, if there defect, sells them to off brand places for 5 dollars and they sell them for $40 to us.... aem dosnt want us to buy the dented ones from them, and dont want to loose money by scrapping them.....

as for the hydrolock... dont worry unless you drive into 2 foot deep puddles on a regular occasion, and if you do, why the hell do you have a honda???? get a truck... oh and my filter is RIGHT BEHIND A HOLE IN THE BUMPER, and on HEAVY rains NOTHING happens. AND my car has never died cause of the cai.... MAYBE if your car was worth a couple hundred bucks more than you paid for your cai, then it wouldnt die... (Maybe thats why "ricers" get bad names..pimpin a $200 d15b7)

sorry to offend anyone, just my thoughts

Schister66
01-24-2006, 02:59 PM
dude i have an idea....get a damn intake because it doesnt matter a damn bit which one you get. I would get a short ram, but right now i don't have anythinng. I have a filter on the TB because boost is where its at!

Add your comment to this topic!