Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 c.v police

lnewcomer
01-15-2006, 05:50 PM
I had my transmission rebuilt about 8 months ago which made my car smooth running, until about one month ago. Now when I going up hills, even small ones my car "studders" like she is missing, but she is fine in park and in normal driving, only up hills at constant speeds. Steeping on the accelerator seems to smooth her out. Any idea? Do I need to send her back in for trans work, or am I right in thinking its a fuel/spark/engine issue?

ModMech
01-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Your transmission MUST be filled with ONLY ATF marked Mercon V, NO OTHER ATF is suitable.

MANY many rebuilders (and even some Ford dealers) still cannot get this right.

If the correct ATF was used, the "shudder" indicates that an ATF change is now needed. You can reference this article: http://www.crownvic.net/tech/transservice.htm

way2old
01-15-2006, 06:34 PM
More than likely the vehicle is in need of a tune up. What makes me think this is your statement of only doing it on hills.

ModMech
01-15-2006, 07:19 PM
My '93 did exactly as he described, even after a full tune-up, until the ATF was changed.

But yes, a bad plug or wire will act in much the same way.

In any event, if he does not have Mercon V in that trans, it needs to be changed to the correct fluid NOW.

lnewcomer
01-15-2006, 08:23 PM
I think I will try both of those things, I really like this car and want to keep it going. Any other ideas would be welcomed. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!