Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

won't start

drkcrusader
01-14-2006, 09:39 PM
ok i can't figure this one out. i try to turn my car this morning and it wouldn't start. it was working fine yesterday. i've checked the battery and it's fine, the alternator and starter are fine, i've replaced the oxygen sensor and all the spark plugs and wires. i just can't figure out what is wrong with it. i thought it might be the pcv and tried taking it out and it won't come out for some reason. i took off the restraint ring and nothing. it sounds like there's grime or something down in the socket and i have no way of getting to it. everything seems to be fine i just don't understand cuz she was running just yesterday. if anyone has any ideas i'd really appreciate some insight or advice on what to do. it's a 1991 oldsmobile 98 regency elite.

80sOlds98
01-15-2006, 03:04 AM
Could be your PASS-Key antitheft system. Those seem to be trouble when they get old and can cause a no-start condition. Any messages in the cluster?

drkcrusader
01-16-2006, 10:24 AM
i'm sure it's not that cuz it's at least trying to turn on. i just can't figure this out. i need to have this fixed by today, tomorrow at latest. any other ideas?

80sOlds98
01-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Well, I don't have enough info to help. What *exactly* is it doing? You turn the key and:

a. It cranks but won't fire, starter sounds normal and engine turns fast but it won't run.

b. It tries to start but can't turn over, you can hear the starter trying to turn the motor but it doesn't have enough energy to turn it over all the way.

c. You hear only a "click" when the key goes to "start."

d. You hear nothing at all when the key goes to "start."

e. None of the above (please elaborate).

Ryno1988
02-17-2006, 09:35 PM
I have the same year and model and the similar situation is happening to me. It ran fine one day, then as i was about to go to work, wouldnt start, just click. When i turn the key it just will click, unless i recharge the battery or give it a jump, but what i dont get is that the battery is brand new. Something thats also strange is that the air pump keeps going after i shut the car off and take the key out, which might be draining the battery. And then when i give it a jump and get it running it runs EXTREMELY rough. I just changed the ignition pack and im about to buy new plugs and wires. Would anyone have any other information on this problem for me? Thanks, much appreciated!

redman063
02-22-2006, 12:03 PM
hey there people .... im new to this site ... and im also having the same proble like you all are having ... and the two main things that keep coming back aruond are the crank position sensor and a plugged catilic converter ..... ive done everything that most of you have to mine ... and feel like a fool for not checking atleast the cat first ... but like most of you im no mechanic im learning as i go hope this helps atleast one of you out .... and also mine still wont start ... but i think i know what i did to it this time ... my harmonic balencer broke so in order to replce it i had to put some serious pressure behind it to get it off ... now if anyof you even mess with it then you know what im talking about ... mine is the 98,1988 touring sedan ... runs like a raped ape when running right ... but like now when just that one thing is off it wont do squat.

Add your comment to this topic!