Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cleaning my airbrush's jars?

patoffspyder
01-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi guys!

Normally, I paint with Tamiya's acrylic paints and it's really easy to clean my jars and the cover, but this time I used Cobra Colors paint.

I tried hot water, window cleaner but there is always some paint in the jars and in the straw that goes from the jar to the airbrush. What is the best way to clean this? I tried Isopropyl alcohol and it's not working great...

Thanks

willimo
01-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Since Cobra Colors paints are lacquers, water won't do a damn thing. Nor window cleaner. Alcohol won't either. You'll need lacquer thinner.

Go to AutoZone or whatever is you preferred auto parts place, or even Wally world, and get the cheapest lacquer thinner you can find. Cheaper tends to actually work best for clean-up duty.

willimo
01-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Also, make sure you take the thinner to your airbrush and clean that sucker out good! The water/window cleaner/alcohol didn't clean that up either, and until you get after it with lacquer thinner, it's gonna be gunked up.

Lownslow
01-14-2006, 10:53 PM
i used MEK before with great results im using a special cleaner like they do in 1:1 cars

SteveK2003
01-15-2006, 01:30 AM
I'm told MEK also works as plastic cement as well.

Lownslow
01-15-2006, 02:37 AM
yes it does in a extremely well ventilated area i turn all 3 exhaust fans on when i use it

Lownslow
01-15-2006, 02:37 AM
yes it does in a extremely well ventilated area i turn all 3 exhaust fans on when i use it

MPWR
01-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Go to AutoZone or whatever is you preferred auto parts place, or even Wally world, and get the cheapest lacquer thinner you can find. Cheaper tends to actually work best for clean-up duty.

No! Don't get the cheap stuff!

CobraColors needs good PPG laquer thinner for thinning. Yes, it can be sprayed without additional thinning, but cutting it a bit more makes it behave better than any Tamiya laquer. It goes on like glass.

But- the thinner can only be gotten in 1 gallon cans (for about $30), which is essentially a lifetime supply. It's perfect for cleaning your airbrush, too. So, get the PPG for both uses, and avoid the cheap stuff.

And why bother with airbrush jars, anyway? Got a color cup? Make your life easier- use it instead. Get a glass eyedropper for transfering paint/thinner. It makes cleanup much easier and quicker.

ZoomZoomMX-5
01-15-2006, 08:47 AM
No! Don't get the cheap stuff!

CobraColors needs good PPG laquer thinner for thinning. Yes, it can be sprayed without additional thinning, but cutting it a bit more makes it behave better than any Tamiya laquer. It goes on like glass.

But- the thinner can only be gotten in 1 gallon cans (for about $30), which is essentially a lifetime supply. It's perfect for cleaning your airbrush, too. So, get the PPG for both uses, and avoid the cheap stuff.

And why bother with airbrush jars, anyway? Got a color cup? Make your life easier- use it instead. Get a glass eyedropper for transfering paint/thinner. It makes cleanup much easier and quicker.

He said "cleaning", not "thinning". No reason to spend 3-4 times the price of cleanup-grade thinner just to wipe out jars and clean up the airbrush. I use Cobra Colors and cheap lacquer thinner...but I don't use the thinner to thin the paint, I use it to thin enamels or clean my airbrush and parts after spraying nearly every type of paint, from acrylic to enamel to lacquer. Cheap lacquer thinner is all I need (and it's easily bought in quart sized containers). The rare time I need to thin Cobra Colors (or Black Gold which isn't thinned) I use Gunze Mr. Color Thinner-easier on plastic and makes it spray like enamel. I've gone through several gallons of cheap lacquer thinner in the 20+ years I've been using it.

patoffspyder
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Thanks for your help guys, I will try to find lacquer thinner!

MPWR
01-15-2006, 09:39 AM
He said "cleaning", not "thinning". No reason to spend 3-4 times the price of cleanup-grade thinner just to wipe out jars and clean up the airbrush.

True- but why buy two different laquer thinners for two different uses, if one will do both well? At $30 a gallon, the PPG is not much more expensive than cheap cleanup grade. I've got alot of kits to paint in the next 20 years, but I have my doubts about making it through a full gallon of thinner, using it both for cleanup and thinning.

You're of course welcome to thin Cobra Colors (or anything else) with any variety of chemical brew you choose- but when messing with laquers, I'll always choose to thin with whatever the paint is designed to be used with.

ZoomZoomMX-5
01-15-2006, 10:15 AM
True- but why buy two different laquer thinners for two different uses, if one will do both well? At $30 a gallon, the PPG is not much more expensive than cheap cleanup grade. I've got alot of kits to paint in the next 20 years, but I have my doubts about making it through a full gallon of thinner, using it both for cleanup and thinning.

You're of course welcome to thin Cobra Colors (or anything else) with any variety of chemical brew you choose- but when messing with laquers, I'll always choose to thin with whatever the paint is designed to be used with.

You are totally missing the point. What he needs is a one quart can of cheap lacquer thinner for about $4 to answer his question and solve his problem about CLEANING AIRBRUSH BOTTLES. Period! If he needs more later, he can buy what he needs based on his requirements. He never asked about thinning the Cobra Colors paint. If he had, my answer might have been different. He doesn't need two different types of thinner, and he certainly doesn't need to go spend $30 on high grade lacquer thinner. Again, decades of experience to fall back on here.

Vric
01-15-2006, 10:43 AM
I agree. for cleaning, get the cheapest lacquer thinner at hardware store.

I use on that cost 3$ for 1 gallon.

Btw, never spray a paint with your airbrush before knowing how to clean it after. If your jar is dirty, just imagine how is your airbrush now.. you will need a lot of time to clean it (unless it's a cheap single action 10$ airbrush, then it's better just to put it in the garbage)

Add your comment to this topic!