Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Apperance

xavier3jr
01-14-2006, 08:42 PM
is it just my computer or does this now look alot like DSmTuners.....

Blackcrow64
01-14-2006, 09:05 PM
I don't like the new appearance... I'm lost. lol

tfoti
01-14-2006, 10:07 PM
I thought I accidentally went to dsmtuners....

SLoe
01-14-2006, 10:15 PM
I like it.

l_eclipse_l
01-14-2006, 10:31 PM
I think it looks good, but will take some getting used to.

-Josh-
01-14-2006, 11:11 PM
IO love oti, but it could be cause i'm fdunk right now

DragonofBC
01-14-2006, 11:16 PM
new = bad. There was a sense of home in the old way. Now I feel like we are at DSMTuners which is out of my comfort zone.

-Josh-
01-14-2006, 11:20 PM
comfort zone? it's cleaner...easeir...and nicer...we'll see when i'msober

clipsekid99
01-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Well, atleast the color scheme isn't those weird purple shades lol.

blk_srt
01-14-2006, 11:39 PM
I kind of like the new apperance. Its a little cleaner. Sure it will take some getting used to but it is time for a little change

EDMUND65
01-14-2006, 11:49 PM
that be a negitive, i dont like it one bit.... but thats me

xavier3jr
01-15-2006, 12:10 AM
i dont really like it either.....i also thought i accidentaly went to dsmtuners but like its been said change is sometimes a good thing is does look alot cleaner but it did feel homey the way it was....it was somewhere i went everyday i knew everything about how it looks now its just weird feels kinda outa place

Nayr747
01-15-2006, 12:21 AM
I don't like the white. I liked the dark background. Is there a way to change the color schemes?

Turbodog97
01-15-2006, 01:50 AM
Is it just me or when you click on some forums or threads no content comes up? And a lot of stuff is missing on my pages(i.e. icons not fully comming onto screen) Is all this just temporary?

ez1286
01-15-2006, 01:51 AM
There seems to be some problems, like some new post have no content in them and are repeated like five times. It's kind of plain now just like the other forums.

xavier3jr
01-15-2006, 01:57 AM
its all part of the update i guess..... but they shouldnt have did it unless they could have did it all at once.....

Turbodog97
01-15-2006, 02:14 AM
Yeah...and whoever said it is right...this new look is kind-of uncomfortable. It no longer has a "homely" feel to it. It seems too business like or somthng. I can't explain it:frown: I'm just too upset to type!!!! Change it back!!!!!

AbsoluteGTR
01-15-2006, 07:32 AM
I actually like the white background..text will stand out a bit more..but I do hate the fact that it looks like dsmtuners...but change IS good.

I was probably one of the first ones to view this "new" site. I clicked on my favorite link, and it said the server was down (typical for autoforums) so I tried again-same thing, and then again and it worked and I was like "WTF"!! lol

Its all good though!

ned032002
01-15-2006, 07:38 AM
I hate the new set up and....well I just hate it and just as everybody else has said It just doesn't feel like home anymore. It's to bright and not even close to easy on the eyes. Change it back?

EDMUND65
01-15-2006, 08:36 AM
change it back! change it back! change it back!!!!

-Josh-
01-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Post it up in hot or not if you want changes, i can't do shit.

DragonofBC
01-15-2006, 12:43 PM
comfort zone? it's cleaner...easeir...and nicer...we'll see when i'msober

Yeah. I was wasted when I wrote that last night. I'm not entirely certain what I was talking about.

96spyderman
01-15-2006, 01:10 PM
WTF happened? I leave for how long and now it's all..... well... to put it bluntly... G A Y
Not once did I EVER hear someone say..."I don't like this set-up" or anything like it... but... oh well :frown:

clipsekid99
01-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Holy poop, it's Martin! Any updates on your car bro?

96spyderman
01-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Holy poop? lmfao
Nope.. cars not in my possession... gonna take this into the courts...
long story short... he's screwed :p

defiancy
01-15-2006, 01:56 PM
I think this new format is poop.

Sorry to hear things didn't work out for ya Martin.

Talon69
01-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Its ok i just do not like the white background, that part sucks. Looks way to plain now

Thor06
01-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I liked the old way better. I tried going to DSMtuners, but I dont feel comfortable there at all (and I fucking hate having to try to earn those "respect points" or whatever and being screwed into the newbie forum forever). I definately liked the darker background, sure the text pops a little more on the white, but after reading some of those long-ass tech articles on tuners I want to gouge my eyes out. Oh well, I think we'll get used to it.

Man, I would have broken his kness by now, thats just bull shit. Good luck in court Martin.

97_3clipse
01-15-2006, 04:45 PM
looks more like DSMlink user group forums.....

Eclipsewhipping
01-15-2006, 05:10 PM
o yea i like it

Blackcrow64
01-15-2006, 06:23 PM
I don't see why it needed to be changed anyways. The old appearance seemed like very easy to read and easy on the eyes color scheme. This one is too bright when I'm sitting in the dark and I pop up AF its like "AHHHHH MY EYES!!!!" lol

Thor06
01-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Hey, does this mean AF isnt going to be down for 5 minutes every 5 minutes? ;)

blk_srt
01-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Good question

xavier3jr
01-15-2006, 10:21 PM
i highly doubt it it is a free server its not gana be the best around

SLoe
01-15-2006, 10:48 PM
i highly doubt it it is a free server its not gana be the best around
I bet the guy who pays for the server does'nt think it is "free".

Nayr747
01-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Josh can you link to "hot or not" please? And yeah, brighter backrounds are harder on the eyes. I liked coming here at night but now it's like I'm looking at the sun. I don't even need a light. Ok, maybe that's a little overdramatic but I still liked the old one better.

xavier3jr
01-15-2006, 11:09 PM
I bet the guy who pays for the server does'nt think it is "free".

exactly thats why its so shity because they pay out the ass i mean it would eb diffrent if there was a monthly fee for us to be on here but theres not so we cant expect the best

l_eclipse_l
01-15-2006, 11:12 PM
Josh can you link to "hot or not" please? And yeah, brighter backrounds are harder on the eyes. I liked coming here at night but now it's like I'm looking at the sun. I don't even need a light. Ok, maybe that's a little overdramatic but I still liked the old one better.

Heres your link:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=269

On the note of the laggyness (word? lol) of this forum and the constant unresponsiveness, it does get very annoying and with as much fucking advertising there is on this site, it shouldnt be a problem to upgrade every once in awhile to keep things moving at a decent speed. The fact is they are making money on this site, so they should spent a little bit on keeping it going so people don't get pissed off and they lose traffic, which = less money from advertising.

xavier3jr
01-16-2006, 12:46 AM
true i wasnt thinking about all the advertizement they proably make so much % of what the companies make from leting them put there ad's on here actually they proably make a shit load lol

Blackcrow64
01-16-2006, 01:26 AM
They get 10,000 a year per a banner ad at the top of these pages. Which I have noticed rotates among several company ads. Lets not forget all the other ads at the very very top beside the AF logo. Also there are the "related links" ads between the last post and the quick reply. Plus they have some type of deal with google as well. And we all know that google has a ton of money to spend on advertising... I'd say they are rolling in well over 200,000 a year... So the question arises again, why such a slow server and constant unresponses by AF?

xavier3jr
01-16-2006, 01:37 AM
good point but of course if we try to press this point futer they might make a charge for this site...

Blackcrow64
01-16-2006, 01:59 AM
good point but of course if we try to press this point futer they might make a charge for this site...

I don't see why they would though. That would discourage new users and may even chase away current users. Then they would lose all the traffic that is promised to those companies that advertise with them. Then those companies would pull their advertising for the following year and place it elsewhere causing AF to lose their funding and force them to shut down. That leaves all those people that manage and own it without a job... Therefore, they won't charge for its membership... At least, thats how I would look at it if I owned AF... lol:)

Nayr747
01-16-2006, 02:06 AM
Then people ($) go bye bye. OT, but can anyone tell me why we have to pay for tv and magazines? At least half of tv and more than half of mags are advertisements. With any other service this would make it free since their already making money with the ads (AF=free). Think of sat. radio; $12/month with NO ads, yet tv is $40++/month for half ads??? = $$$$$$$$

Thx for the link l_eclipse_l.

Nayr747
01-16-2006, 02:15 AM
Should I take the initiative and post this thread in the hot or not section, or has is already been done?

ez1286
01-16-2006, 02:19 AM
Then people ($) go bye bye. OT, but can anyone tell me why we have to pay for tv and magazines? At least half of tv and more than half of mags are advertisements. With any other service this would make it free since their already making money with the ads (AF=free). Think of sat. radio; $12/month with NO ads, yet tv is $40++/month for half ads??? = $$$$$$$$

Thx for the link l_eclipse_l.
We have to pay for tv cause the big companies that own the stations don't have enough money.

Blackcrow64
01-16-2006, 02:20 AM
Should I take the initiative and post this thread in the hot or not section, or has is already been done?

Go ahead and post it in there. I haven't, but it won't hurt if more than one person does it. Maybe then they will see the importance in changing it back or at least getting a better server together.

xavier3jr
01-16-2006, 02:26 AM
i agree i was just in hot or not and was thinking about posting it. But yes please move it and if they atleast see how many ppl wont it changed back or for sure atleast a better server.

i mean they could put up a better srever and atleast put up a donations thing i pritty sure hafe the people on here wouldnt mind puting in a doller a week for a better server

ned032002
01-16-2006, 08:45 AM
If theres already this much negative feedback just in this forum about the change, then imagine all the links and all of the negative feedback in those. What I'm trying to say is that I'm sure that there are plenty of people right now posting negative feedback, so they will most likely change it back just to keep everybody happy or make us pay(which would suck).

And as Xavier said, I'm sure that there are alot of people that wouldn't mind pitching in a couple of bucks every so often, as long as it's considered as a donation and not manditory.

ned032002
01-16-2006, 08:46 AM
If theres already this much negative feedback just in this forum about the change, then imagine all the links and all of the negative feedback in those. What I'm trying to say is that I'm sure that there are plenty of people right now posting negative feedback, so they will most likely change it back just to keep everybody happy or make us pay(which would suck).

And as Xavier said, I'm sure that there are alot of people that wouldn't mind pitching in a couple of bucks every so often, as long as it's considered as a donation and not manditory.

tyndago
01-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Change is a good thing, but people also get used to the routine, and dont want or like to change.

As far as the servers and the page loading, I only really see it slowing down at peak internet times, when just the internet in general seems to be slow. I know AF has at least 2 dedicated servers now, maybe its time for another one.

merritr
01-16-2006, 12:48 PM
I don't see so many people complaining about changes. I only see two people making claims and saying they represent the masses. Change is good, upgrading is good. AF is far from ideal in its presentation. Give things a chance to improve.

As for the forums being laggy a big culprit of slow performance are those people who have 20 gigantic pictures in their signature. If a few people posting in the same thread all have signatures that take up an entire screen the servers have to process all the pictures for every post those people make. Cut down your signatures! Lengthy signatures slow everything down and look visually unappealing.

Thanks.

Blackcrow64
01-16-2006, 02:28 PM
As for the forums being laggy a big culprit of slow performance are those people who have 20 gigantic pictures in their signature. If a few people posting in the same thread all have signatures that take up an entire screen the servers have to process all the pictures for every post those people make. Cut down your signatures! Lengthy signatures slow everything down and look visually unappealing.

AF doesn't even host my signature pictures so it doesn't slow down their server. Those pictures are hosted by Cardomains server. The slow servers are caused by extra traffic because of so many new users. That is why they need to upgrade their server.

FormulaLT1
01-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Sometimes change takes some getting use to but this is most certainly a improvement. The site is moving quicker. There are more user friendly option and in the long run as well (shockly), right now most members find it better than the prior version. Everyone/everything at some point must change. No going back from here. Its funny that basically the eclipse forum is getting so frustrated with this. LOL, you guys really hate any kind of change huh. Hope you guys take to this change easier than has been the case in the past. Just don't expect the old version anytime soon cause the feedback on the new version has been positive for the most part.

PS- AF is free. We provide a service to you free of charge but the server issue has been addressed and from what I have heard is in the works of a upgrade.

jon@af
01-16-2006, 03:02 PM
In correlation with what John said, the discussion about changing things back to the way they were happened the last time we upgraded the format. Guess what? It stayed the same.

Bottomline is this: Complaining about it is a wasted post. There are certain things that no amount of opinion will sway; this is one of those instances. So, here are your options: Get over the fact that the administration made a decision that they believe will benefit this site or leave. Simple as that.

Add your comment to this topic!