Lincoln LS 2000 & Engine Light on

phuonghoangtuan
01-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi all,

I've just bought LS 2000 but i have a problem with its check engine light, It is steady at below 60mph and it's blinking above 60 mph. Beside that it consumes 2.3 mpg, thats terrible!!!

Anyone has previously experienced with this please help me!

Thank you so much and have a nice day!

MT-2500
01-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Welcome to your first post here on AF.
If the check engine light is on you need to get a scanner on it and check for codes.
Post back code no.
A blinking light points to a missfire.
How many mile on tune up?
Check out the tune up end.
And you replace the plugs use the OEM motorcraft plugs the book calls for.
If you need the codes checked.
Auto zone and some other parts places give free code checks.
But beware on there free advise.

Use Caution when getting the free code checks please.
Some parts places do offer free code checks. And also free repair advice. But beware. Just get the code no and post it back here and someone will help you.
They offer the free code checks in the hope of increasing there parts sales.
Almost all of them will also offer mechanical advice and some know what they are doing.
But just remember most of them are parts people pulling codes for free.
Not trained professional tech/mechanics. Even if they pull a 02-sensor code or another sensor related code it does always mean to replace that sensor and your problem will be fixed.
Please just get the code no and post it back here and we will help you.
MT :lol: :grinyes: :lol2:

phuonghoangtuan
01-15-2006, 12:38 AM
Hi,

Thanks so much for your advice. The mileage is currently 140000! I just bought it two days ago, where i could scan for the code check free please? I have already asked the dealer but they will charge me $102, thats too much :grinyes:

I will be back here if i have the checked code soon.

Thanks again for your help

MT-2500
01-15-2006, 11:03 AM
10-5 on the dealer scan. Little high for a scan or code read out.
If that includes a complete diagnostic check out might not be bad deal if you have a major problem and they do the stuff they are supposed to and have a factory trained tech do the work.
But some just get the greese monkey to read the codes in 5 minutes codes check.
Auto zone and some other discount parts places read the codes for free.
But read the caution from upper post.
Get codes no and post back codes.
A blinking light is a missfire.
A steady light means a code has been set.
MT

DazeyD143
09-17-2007, 10:38 PM
I have a 2000 LS V6. I have already had the lincoln dealership replace the 5th coil (misfiring) and the fuel pump. We have been having problems with it again. Everytime it rains, somehow water gets in to the engine and it won't run right until it dries out (about 2 days). The car has no pick-up, and constantly misfires. The check engine light came on again, so we took it to Advance Auto Parts to have them read the codes and they said it was the 3rd and 6th coil misfiring. So, today we replaced all the spark plugs, and found that one of the old ones was covered in oil. The spark plugs were in horrible shape and NEEDED to be replaced. We thought this might fix it, but it is still running rough. I can't afford to take it back to Lincoln...someone please help! :banghead:

Drag214
09-18-2007, 02:30 PM
I had similar problems with my LS. I posted every step of the ordeal on this site. Look for my thread. The title is " Salvage LS Need Help".

shorod
09-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Was the spark plug or the coil covered in oil? Coil covered in oil would indicate the spark plug well seals. If it's the spark plug covered in oil, that would indicate something much more serious, such as low compression/bad rings. Also, if spark plug, are you sure it was oil and not raw fuel? A misfiring spark plug can look quite similar to an oil saturated spark plug.

Were the coils replaced with OEM or aftermarket coils? On certain cars, there have been issues with aftermarket coils (and plug wires) having the wrong height to the boot, preventing them from sealing against the valve cover tightly. Water could run down between the coil boot and valve cover and cause a misfire until the moisture evaporated away.

-Rod

lorr43
10-11-2007, 07:36 PM
:confused: I just bought a 2000 Lincoln LS two days ago and today a funny shaped light looks almost like a light bulb) came on. It's right next to the oil light. I do not have a manual. Can anyone tell me what this light means?

MT-2500
10-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Welcome to AF.
Owners manual may cover that.
Hit the New Thread button upper left corner and start a post on it.
MT

MT-2500
10-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Some of the lights are maintenance reminder lights.
Check here for a service manual.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

DazeyD143
11-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Shorod- It was the spark plug covered in oil. We have replaced all 6 plugs and the one closest to the rear of the car on the left side is the one we are finding oil on. The new one also has oil on it. Check engine light has been on...We have read the codes and they said slow response sensor 1/1 and misfires on cylinders 3 and 4. We replaced the oxygen sensor and that didn't fix the prob, so our next step is to replace coils 3 and 4 but we are not sure which ones they are. Have any clue where I might find a diagram of which coil is which for my 3.0 V6?? Also, should we go ahead and change all 6 coils or is that not necessary? Thanks for your help!!

shorod
11-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Is it the ceramic portion of the spark plug that is covered in oil or the electrode (spark) end that is covered? If it is the electrode end, that would indicated a problem with piston rings, valve seals, etc. If it's the ceramic end that the coil plugs in to, then replacing the plugs and coil without fixing the spark plug well seals will not fix anything long-term.

The slow response of the oxygen sensor could be partially due to the misfire. I'd start by fixing the misfire, then see if the slow response code comes back. If it does, the constant misfires could have damaged the sensor to where you'll need to replace it too, but I wouldn't start there yet.

On your V-6, cylinder #1 will be the cylinder closest to you on your left as you are standing in front of your car with the hood up, looking at the engine. Cylinder #2 will be the middle cylinder on the left, and cylinder #3 will be the cylinder nearest the firewall on the left. Cylinder #4 will be the cylinder closest to you on the right.

The coils on cylinders 1 through 3 are not real easy to get to. You don't want to have to take the intake off too many times, so assuming the oil is due to leaky spark plug well seals, replace the valve cover gasket sets (which should include the plug well seals) and you may want to replace all three coils on the left side as well.

-Rod

blueboy76
10-18-2008, 05:19 PM
I too just had the check engine light come on my Lincoln LS 2000, I took it to AutoZone for a free reading and they gave me code 152. I was told it was an oxygen sensor (#2) but they recommend to have them both replaced, cost is $168.00, can someone please verify this?:sly:

Hi all,

I've just bought LS 2000 but i have a problem with its check engine light, It is steady at below 60mph and it's blinking above 60 mph. Beside that it consumes 2.3 mpg, thats terrible!!!

Anyone has previously experienced with this please help me!

Thank you so much and have a nice day!

MT-2500
10-18-2008, 06:16 PM
I too just had the check engine light come on my Lincoln LS 2000, I took it to AutoZone for a free reading and they gave me code 152. I was told it was an oxygen sensor (#2) but they recommend to have them both replaced, cost is $168.00, can someone please verify this?:sly:

Welcome to AF.
168.00$ is a high priced free code check!!!!!!!!
Somebody has there wires crossed on that code deal.
You need to be looking at bank 2 sensor 1 not sensor 2.
And remember a code does niot say replace the sensor.
You need to check it out.
This post is old and dead.
Let the dead rest in piece,
Always check the date on the post before answering to it.
And to save on hyjackng a old dead post.
Please start a new thread/post if you need help on your car.
Good Luck

shorod
10-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Like MT-2500 suggested, the code P0152 does not suggest that the O2 sensor is the problem, but rather that there is a wiring issue for the sensor. And, again like MT-2500 mentioned, this code is for bank 2, sensor 1. Per the factory service manual, "The HO2S Sensor Signals are monitored for an over voltage fault. The code is set when HO2S signal voltage is 1.5 volts or greater."

Also per the service manual, likely causes are:

HO2S Signal Circuit shorted to Heater Power inside of HO2S sensor.
HO2S Signal Circuit shorted to VPWR or VREF in harness.
PCM failure.-Rod

blueboy76
10-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Thank you both for the advice, I will replace it as soon as I find out where it's located on the car, is it by the catalyc converter? And do you reccomend replacing both?

Welcome to the forum!

Like MT-2500 suggested, the code P0152 does not suggest that the O2 sensor is the problem, but rather that there is a wiring issue for the sensor. And, again like MT-2500 mentioned, this code is for bank 2, sensor 1. Per the factory service manual, "The HO2S Sensor Signals are monitored for an over voltage fault. The code is set when HO2S signal voltage is 1.5 volts or greater."

Also per the service manual, likely causes are:

HO2S Signal Circuit shorted to Heater Power inside of HO2S sensor.
HO2S Signal Circuit shorted to VPWR or VREF in harness.
PCM failure.-Rod[/quote]

shorod
10-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Woah! Read the posts again. We're not suggesting the O2 sensor is bad, but rather something for the wiring to it. IE: don't expect to replace the sensor and have the code go away. You need to perform some diagnostics first.

Bank 2 will be the bank on the driver's side (in US) and sensor 1 will be the sensor that is before the catalytic converter in the exhaust stream.

Since the code does not suggest that the sensor is bad, I don't recommend replacing either of them until you determine the cause for the code.

-Rod

blueboy76
10-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks for your hel but now I have a bigger issue not sure if it's related. After I washed the car today I noticed the ABS light come on, by the way the engine light went off the day after you sent me the post. getting back to the problem, I made it home from the car wash turned off the car and now it won't start, it does a clicking noise but it will not run, lights work fine but it triggers the alarm????

shorod
10-22-2008, 09:41 PM
How old is the battery? There have been a fair number of posts on here describing issues caused by old batteries, even if it still tests fine. If it's close to 5 years old, you should consider replacing it. That may even solve your issue. While checking the date on the battery, make sure the battery cables are clean and tight.

Is the "Theft" or "Security" indicator in the instrument cluster doing anything odd when you try to start the car and get the single click?

-Rod

blueboy76
10-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I though the problem was resolved when I purchased and installed the new battery but aparently that was not the problem because it started doing it again. As I'm driving the engine light comes on followed by ABS light and the traction control light aswell, as soon as I turn off the car it will not start up again. It seems like whatever it is it drains the battery, by the way the free reading that I got previously from Auto Zone was code PO156, can the oxygen sensor be causing the rest of the problems?

MT-2500
10-27-2008, 05:52 PM
I though the problem was resolved when I purchased and installed the new battery but aparently that was not the problem because it started doing it again. As I'm driving the engine light comes on followed by ABS light and the traction control light aswell, as soon as I turn off the car it will not start up again. It seems like whatever it is it drains the battery, by the way the free reading that I got previously from Auto Zone was code PO156, can the oxygen sensor be causing the rest of the problems?

02 sensors do not make the battery go dead.

You need to get the charging and battery and electrical system checked.
Check for proper charging and charging voltage?
Will the battery charge up and start car.

Low charging voltage or low battery voltage an trip ABS lights and traction control stuff.

Happster
01-31-2009, 08:35 AM
The spark plug well seals are a chronic problem with the lincoln ls. Along with the famous cracking degas bottle, it should have been a recall. They leak and allow oil to get into the spark plug wells and short out the coils, causing a misfire. If you're getting a blinking engine light, it is a misfire. Pull the code...301 is cyldinder one misfire, 302 cylinder 2, 303 cyl 3, etc. Cylinders 1-4 are on the passenger side, in ascending order front to back when facing the engine from the front (1 is closest to the grille). 5-8 are on the other side, same persepctive. Pull the valve cover caps, the coils and plugs. Be careful-the connectors are brittle on the coils! Look at the lower boot on the coils as you pull them out, particularly from the misfiring cylinder(s). If it has oil on it, that's your problem. It should be bone dry. Even a little oil is a problem. Replace the valve cover gaskets (dealer item only for 3.9l), including the spark plug well seals, replace the faulty coil(s) and put DOUBLE PLATNUM plugs in only!!...cheesy plugs can generate high resistance and trip faulty misfire codes. Your problem should be solved, until the idiotic gasket design fails again.

joe_s
08-29-2010, 08:58 PM
I need help. 2000 Lincoln LS, V8, 98k miles and trans has always shifted hard. Tonight my 'check transmission' light came on.
Is it safe to drive short distances or do I risk getting stranded?
Any suggestions on what to do next to check this out?
Thanks, Joe

joegr
08-29-2010, 09:36 PM
I need help. 2000 Lincoln LS, V8, 98k miles and trans has always shifted hard. Tonight my 'check transmission' light came on.
Is it safe to drive short distances or do I risk getting stranded?
Any suggestions on what to do next to check this out?
Thanks, Joe

Use a Ford specific code scanner to get the transmission trouble codes out (or go somewhere that has one), and then go from there.
Every mile that you continue to drive it, you risk doing damage or more damage to the transmission. However, it probably won't leave you stranded right away.

Add your comment to this topic!