Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Would any of you trade???

SHO411
01-13-2006, 04:55 PM
I've got a 99 SL Auto, that I paid $11,000.00 last week, but for what I want, I'm thinking that I'd be better off with VR-4, would your trade a 99 SL for a 95-97 vr-4???? the book value on mine is I around $11,000.00 and it only has 70K on it, but since I've been dried out of cash, I don't want to take anything more costly, and plus, I like the look of the 99SL, so the bumper swap has to happen.

What would you do in my position?????????

xXxRocker5150
01-13-2006, 05:06 PM
dude... your SL isn't fast enough??? I guess that's understandable, but I don't think many people'll trade ya a vr4 for an SL...

SHO411
01-13-2006, 05:25 PM
I'm not asking someone to trade unless interested, I'm thinking of selling my 99SL, then buying a 95-97VR-4. Then do the 99 front conv.
I would have gotten any 3KGT, but I like the big mouth of the 99s, some stupid site off 3Si said to swap the bumper, you've got to swap out tons of other shit, so I thought it would be cheaper just to get the 99 to start off with, then I found out that all you need is the 99 bumper and you're done, ain't that some bullshit???? If I had known, I'd have gotten a 96-98 SL for $4,000 LESS!!!!!!!

Well anyway, now I want a VR-4, so I'm thinking of selling the SL and buying the VR, but the first thing I'll have to secure is the 99 Front bumper, I've got to have that. And how hard is it to find this bumper anyway?????? Know anysite that has them for under a grand????

I need a car with the rear subframe in it, now to install it on my SL is about an extra $1500-2500, which is OK with the weight saving and all, but, the VR-4 already has it in place, so all I'll be doing is removing what I don't want, and the extras I'll already have stock like TT, and Stronger internals, etc will save me from starting from scratch.................. I think the more I talk about it, the more it become clear, I need a VR-4.

Crap, should have waited for a week and save the trip and cash............

xXxRocker5150
01-13-2006, 06:09 PM
well an auto sl to a vr4 is a really big step man, but do waht you feel is best... 3sxperformance sells the 99' conversion kit (including the bubble lights and everything) for like 1500 or 2 grand I think

SHO411
01-14-2006, 09:06 AM
CRAP!!!!!!!!!! I'm the one who mis-interpreted what they meant, they were talking of the 91-93 3S, not the 95+.................. Damn, then I think it's settled, I'll try selling mine ASAP, and also start shopping for a VR-4.
Well, if you are like me, more is always better, except for WEIGHT, I've got to get that damn tank to under 3300lbs, a 3800 pound sports car doesnt sound right to me.................. It'll have to go through some Lypo or something.

xXxRocker5150
01-14-2006, 11:12 AM
3,300 lbs??? Just swap a manual into your SL and turbo it man, I don't think you'll shave off more than 300 pounds max... I could be wrong but look at it this way; you could have a TT FWD beast with full interior, or you could get a VR4 and strip all the interior and everything and you might come close to about 3,500 lbs. What I'm saying is why give up luxury for some weight savings

AutostradaVR4
01-14-2006, 09:16 PM
3,300 lbs??? Just swap a manual into your SL and turbo it man, I don't think you'll shave off more than 300 pounds max... I could be wrong but look at it this way; you could have a TT FWD beast with full interior, or you could get a VR4 and strip all the interior and everything and you might come close to about 3,500 lbs. What I'm saying is why give up luxury for some weight savings

i agree. if your that concerned with weight, i would stick with your SL and look into one of the many turbo kits available. For the money your going to spend with the front end conversion and weight reduction on a 94-98 vr4, you can probably throw some low comp. pistons and a turbo or 2 on your SL. Check out www.3sxperformance.com.

Another thought. if your thinking about racing it, you might think about keeping the auto tranny, as i have heard they can put down a quicker 1/4-mile than a manual.

SHO411
01-16-2006, 09:22 AM
The up side to the VR-4 is that it already comes with tons of Goodies Stock, like TT set up, suspension upgrades, and the works, all I'll be doing are adding extras like boost controllers etc, but with the SL, I'll be starting from scratch, setting the engine for lower comp pistons, and then getting a TT setup etc, can you see the point I'm getting at.
With the SL, the advantages are weight saving, but w/ the VR-4, the added weigh comes with tons of goodies.
Anyway, I'm still about a month away to sell my car, I've got to wait for the title...........................

Thanks for the info.

Add your comment to this topic!