Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fog lights not working

pmed148
01-13-2006, 12:07 PM
My factory fog lights stopped working on my 1999 Ram sport 4X4. The indicator on the headlight switch lights but that's it. The bulbs and fuse checks out ok. There is 12v at the lights all of the time. If I ground one of the pins on the lights they both come on. I've checked the switch with a continuity meter and it appears to be working. Am I missing a relay somewhere?

1thunder
01-13-2006, 08:42 PM
there is a relay in the pdc under the hood but first try removing the switch and disconnect the 2 way connector and ground the brown/yellow tracer wire this bypasses the switch

Stevo2
01-15-2006, 03:26 AM
My factory fog lights stopped working on my 1999 Ram sport 4X4. The indicator on the headlight switch lights but that's it. The bulbs and fuse checks out ok. There is 12v at the lights all of the time. If I ground one of the pins on the lights they both come on. I've checked the switch with a continuity meter and it appears to be working. Am I missing a relay somewhere?

I dont have a wiring diagram for that but have you checked in the (PDC) Power Distribution Center under the hood for a relay?

Stale Trooper
10-09-2011, 01:14 PM
there is a relay in the pdc under the hood but first try removing the switch and disconnect the 2 way connector and ground the brown/yellow tracer wire this bypasses the switch

Thunder is right!
I had the same problem on the wife's '99 2500 Diesel. I jumpered the 2 wires on the headlight switch, and the lights came on. I replaced the switch, now all is well in the Kingdom, as the Queen is happy again.

You can get a replacement thru AutoZone (Part Number: SW2197 $47.99 in My local area)http://http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Headlight-Switch/1999-Dodge-RAM-2500-3-4-ton-2WD/_/N-jdlteZ9ciaj?counter=0&itemIdentifier=362163_150252_0_ , O'reilly's, Amazon, E-bay or wherever you can find the best price.

The brand name is "Wells", They make a lot of factory replacement switches and other parts. I've had very good luck with their parts, no matter where I buy them.

Add your comment to this topic!