Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tan to Charcoal

Beef66
01-13-2006, 09:52 AM
has anyone converted all the tan upper trim in their cars to charcoal? I was sitting in my car yesterday when i realized i really dont like the looks of the tan, so i was wondering about how much that would cost me on average...

-Josh

Mikelb
01-13-2006, 10:22 AM
just buy some gauge pillars... there's a place, I can't member off the top of my head... they sell both pillars... driver's side with pods, and passenger side without (to match)... I b/l they're black ABS... you can paint them whatever you wish then... I'll try and get back to you with the name of the site...

Beef66
01-13-2006, 10:28 AM
ya ive seen thoses on 3sxperformance.com, Thats already a possibility but i still need the rest of the trim and i rather get the stock color instead of painting them to match

fastfalcon94
01-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Those black pod pillars and matching side are made by ciance. 3sxperformance.com does have them. www.deftracing.com has them for a lot cheaper. I got both of them for $135 shipped off ebay. You could also paint any plastic in your car w/ SEM paint. I've heard it's the best, and won't rub off.

JaceWade
01-15-2006, 06:13 PM
I just finished changing the dash, center counsol, doors, and upper trim from charcol to black. Goto pepboys and buy some vinyl spray paint(flat black i bought, i didn't want a really glossy finish). I ripped off the carpet covering the ceiling and rewrapped it with some black vinyl(you can use the stuff they sell in a spray can to stick the ceiling carpet on with the vinyl also, even though it says you can't on the can). The vinyl ceiling I think looks a lot nicer than the carpet and cleaning it is easier so thats a plus.

But the vinyl spray makes it look like brand new, and it doesnt come off unless you take something sharp to it or if you sit there and rub the hell out of it. I'll have pictures up of it sometime soon.

Mikelb
01-16-2006, 07:30 AM
I just finished changing the dash, center counsol, doors, and upper trim from charcol to black. Goto pepboys and buy some vinyl spray paint(flat black i bought, i didn't want a really glossy finish). I ripped off the carpet covering the ceiling and rewrapped it with some black vinyl(you can use the stuff they sell in a spray can to stick the ceiling carpet on with the vinyl also, even though it says you can't on the can). The vinyl ceiling I think looks a lot nicer than the carpet and cleaning it is easier so thats a plus.

But the vinyl spray makes it look like brand new, and it doesnt come off unless you take something sharp to it or if you sit there and rub the hell out of it. I'll have pictures up of it sometime soon.

Actually, I used that vinyl spray paint to change the dash in my Corolla. I went from blue to black... The paint lasted for a few weeks, then it started to chip and crack in places... With the system in the car, sometimes you could watch the paint just pop off... I used that vinyl spray on all kinds of plastic/vinyl in that Corolla... it didn't really seem to work on anything other than the plastic trim, i.e. pillars, center console, glove box, etc... IDK a/b a 3s, but it didn't really work in the 'Rolla

JaceWade
01-16-2006, 11:20 AM
i've never heard anyone complain about it chipping, all I have heard were good things about how long it lasts. We'll i'll find out how it works on my car, plenty of stuff is covered with it.

Add your comment to this topic!