Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 mx-6 gt turbo?

blk_srt
01-12-2006, 09:14 PM
My friend just traded a 93ish probe for a 89 mx-6 gt turbo. I know they have the same motor as the 1g probe gt. What turbo are the running from the factory? Will a MHI turbo bolt up to the stock manifold? What kind of numbers do they run? and is it just me or is it a bad idea to run a vented bov(1g dsm) on a complety stock motor?

jestermx6
01-12-2006, 11:02 PM
as long as you have a BOV that will close completely at idle, the worst you'll get is a backfire now and then after you let off the throttle. these cars are extremely underrated and for around $500.00 you can put one in the mid 13's. its a IHI VJ-11 turbo. they run 8.7 psi stock and with intake and exhaust and NO MORE MODS WHATSOEVER it will run around 10psi consistantly

blk_srt
01-12-2006, 11:10 PM
so what would be the max amount of boost that the bottom end/fuel system can handle? and will a mitsu turbo bolt up to the stock manifold or do you need an addapter place or a whole new manifold?

jestermx6
01-13-2006, 06:06 AM
well given a perfect scenario, the stock system can handle about 15 - 16 psi. but for this you'll require a chip from injecttech.com to eliminate the fuel cut you get at 12psi or above. and if you boost 16psi on the stock turbo you'll be kissing it goodbye because its just too small to handle that. there's alot of discussion as to wether a dsm turbo will fit. i'd check out mx6.com and do a search on there for dsm turbo in the first generation forced induction section for details. the first major bolt on upgrade is the compressor housing off of a 87-88 ford turbocoupe. this allows us to run more than 15psi effeciantly without the major risk of blowing up the compressor

Add your comment to this topic!