1999 Cavalier ABS + BRAKE ! Light

jhr323
01-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Recently, both the ABS and the BRAKE! warning lamps came on, and remained on, in my 1999 Cavalier 2.2L. Again, both appeared simultanously. After starting the car now, both light come on together after about three seconds along with a solenoid clatter.

I have visually checked the four wheel speed sensors and the ABS fuse--all look Okay.

My question is there a system component that could be responsible for both lamps illuminating? Can I retrieve a brake component problem code over the OBD-II bus? Will the lamps both go out after I correct the problem, or do I need to "reset" the trouble codes (if any)?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

Cavalier2000
01-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Try resetting the brain by taking the post off the battery. Also how do your brakes look are they still in pretty good shape?

jhr323
01-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Try resetting the brain by taking the post off the battery. Also how do your brakes look are they still in pretty good shape?

Thank you for your quick reply Cavalier2000. I'll try resetting the EBCM by killing the power for about 20 seconds or so. As far as the condition of the brakes; front pads and rotors are good to vgood, I replaced them myself a few months ago. However, the rears are frankly pretty much shot. The parking brake will not hold the car any more. I'm guessing the shoes are history. Could that cause the BRAKE! and ABS to come on? If so, how do they sense that? Pressure?

The full story is that a month or so ago, I didn't tighten the oil filter after a oil change. The car blead oil for a hundred miles or so, before I could get to a place to tighten/ change the filter. The entire underside of the car was lubricated. At my first stop to pick up replacement oil, the BRAKE and ABS lights came on for the first time. They haven't gone out since.

Sorry to dump the entire tail on you, but maybe it'll make sense to you

Thanks again!

Cavalier2000
01-12-2006, 03:03 PM
as far as the rear brakes no I went without rearbrakes completely due to some junk parts and the light never came on. I'm guessing maybe the oil might have done something. Did you hose down under the car at all?

jhr323
01-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks again for your reply Cavalier2000!

First, i killed the power at the battery on the subject car. No difference, unfortunately. Still BRAKE! and ABS lights.

Second, to answer your question, yes i did hose off the oil, but only several hours after the lights came on. Somehow, i really blame the oil on the situation. It seems like such a long-shot that the lights would come on during the oil leak episode if they were not related.

I just visually checked the ABS sensors. This weekend I'm going to put a voltmeter on the output pins of each of the sensors and give them a complete test. The meter should respond to the pulses the sensors put out proportionally to the wheel speed. If I've got a bad wheel speed sensor that would explain the ABS light, but i can't figure the BRAKE light being on as well. Who knows, I may have a bad Em. Brake switch with a bad ABS sensor. Who knows.

I guess ABS is a good thing. But if they're going to force technology on us, it should be more reliable!

Thanks a bunch for any other suggestions Cavalier2000. Take care!

Cavalier2000
01-12-2006, 04:26 PM
does your abs work though? Heres another idea but probably won't work. Try pulling you e-brake up and then putting it bake down. Might be something stuck with that sensor. Just a thought

jhr323
01-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Hello again Cavalier2000 thanks for riding along with me on this issue!

The ABS is non-functional. I drive down a long, steep gravel driveway and can usually cause the ABS to modulate the brake pressure if I start an intentional slide. After the incident, I can't cause the ABS to function, so I think the ABS light is pretty much telling the truth about the ABS being disabled.

I'll give the e-brake a cycle or two and test your ideas about that. I'll also meter out the ebrake switch this weekend. It's a long-shot, but I could have two problems that occured simultanously.

Again, thanks for your thoughts!

seward67
01-24-2006, 02:20 AM
I am having the same problem with my cavalier (1999) Please let me know if you find the cause and fix....I will do the same if I find out before you...Thanks.

jhr323
01-24-2006, 07:40 AM
I sure will seward67. My '99 has about 125K on it, how about yours. Things tend to have a designed failure rate from product to product. If your Cavalier has about the same mileage on it I would imagine it is probably the same thing. I do know that GM changed the ABS system for year 2000.

Did both the BRAKE! and ABS lights appear simultanously? How are your rear brakes?

I would have already done an electrical check on the wheel speed sensors, except I work out of town during the week and have had no time to devote to car maintenance. The wheel speed sensor should be easy enough to check with a voltmeter or an oscilliscope.

Keep in touch, I'll do the same

Good luck

jakegday
01-24-2006, 08:41 AM
I'll try resetting the EBCM by killing the power for about 20 seconds or so.

you will reset absolutely nothing if you disconnect the power for only 20 seconds, try letting it sit overnight with the battery disconnected

Cavalier2000
01-24-2006, 10:33 AM
usally the back brakes have nothing to do with it. Take off the battery post and un-plug the abs control. Let it sit overnight and then plug the abs in adn then the battery and then start it up. Let it run for a few mins then press the brakes and put in gear and then try it out. slick leaves or loose rock can let you see if the abs is working or not

seward67
01-24-2006, 01:09 PM
I sure will seward67. My '99 has about 125K on it, how about yours. Things tend to have a designed failure rate from product to product. If your Cavalier has about the same mileage on it I would imagine it is probably the same thing. I do know that GM changed the ABS system for year 2000.

Did both the BRAKE! and ABS lights appear simultanously? How are your rear brakes?

I would have already done an electrical check on the wheel speed sensors, except I work out of town during the week and have had no time to devote to car maintenance. The wheel speed sensor should be easy enough to check with a voltmeter or an oscilliscope.

Keep in touch, I'll do the same

Good luck

All Brakes work fine, I replaced the rear drums, shoes, wheel hub assemblies and wheel cylinders which have the ABS sensors built in. The lights came on simultaneously. I did a check on the front wheel sensors and the output was 1660 (Whatever) My mechanic thought that was high, since he said it should be around 900 or so. But, they were both the same so maybe thats ok. Overall, the brakes work fine. Just the darn lights won't go out. After further investigation, The code scanner gave the following error codes " DTC C1246: Rear ABS Channel Does Not Move: "detects a bound-up ESB, a stuck
ABS motor, or a seized brake modulator" - indicates that the computer
believes the rear ABS motor mechanicals are jammed, could be due to
something like stripped/jammed gears (which would be easiest to fix), or it
may be necessary to replace the ABS motor pack or hydraulic modulator.
DTC C1286: EBCM Turned On Brake Warning Indicator: This just indicates that
because of other trouble codes, the Brake warning indicator was turned on to
indicate a possible problem with the regular braking system as well as ABS.
If the rear ABS channel is jammed in an improper position, it could cause
problems like the brake pedal going down farther than it should when
pressed, or it could be pushed down when the brake is pressed."

May be an ABS Motor Pack or hydrolic pump. I was hoping it was something simpler. The motor pack and pump are expensive, so I was thinking maybe just disconnecting those lights would be cheaper, but don't know if I can or know how. BTW, I have 218000 miles on mine.

DynamiteBlonde
08-09-2006, 03:26 AM
I know this sounds REALLY strange -- but I had and still occasionally have the same problem with my Cavalier -- my mechanic showed me if I turned the ignition key back one click when driving it goes out - I don't know if it's just my car or what???

Jmrec100
08-18-2006, 03:09 AM
I have the same problem, ever since Ive owned the car. That's about 70,000 miles ago now. My abs doesn't work either and that is ok because I can brake without locking up the wheels. Anyway, my abs warning light went out for a little bit after I did my front brakes. I cleaned up everything there and did use an air hose to blow out some of the crap. Also wiped down the area but it really wasn't too dirty or oily. It didn't last long because its on again????
Could Oil really be a possibility? Or can the brake dust cause the same problem? I bought the car from a friend's daughter after an engine was blown. It has a motor with 11,00 miles on it when installed. Still Maybe oil from the previous blown engine?
If anyone finds out a cause to this problem, let us know!

ajminipan
09-11-2007, 01:03 PM
hey i've had the same problem for 2 years on my 99 z24 i also found out that if you turn the key off than on while your moving the lights go out, and if the front tires lock up the abs works fine but as soon as the rears lock up the lights come on again, i still cannot find the problem has anyone figured it out? i was thinking it might have something to do with the abs pump assembly. something with the rear motor being stuck or something along those lines?

yhandor
09-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Yea I got ABS problem too.....when I back out of my driveway, the ABS starts going off in reverse and then the ABS light pops on and stays on....

Jmrec100
09-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Still waiting for a good reason for this ABS Light problem. No real solution I guess but a terrible common problem.

RoooNick
09-19-2007, 11:49 PM
I have the same problem except it is in a Sunfire, I have searched on this issue and found that the the front left WSS harness connector goes bad alot I went to the dealer and they have a splice kit to put on a new connector. I'm going to look in to this fix in the next few days and see.

Bacon33
10-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Try getting an electrical check on your car. I have the same problem, electrical diagnosis said it was the front speed sensor

RoooNick
11-16-2007, 11:12 AM
I found my problem. It turns out that I needed to replace the motor pack for the ABS. I was able to get one from a junkyard for 50 bucks.

brckss2
01-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Another thread had ABS and brake light on with the following code;

C1246 Rear ABS Channel will not move ( I believe another symptom is no rear brakes, just front)

The fix was a new ABS motor assembly.

ajminipan
01-14-2008, 02:03 PM
I got that same code : rear channel will not move. i heard from my mechanic that most of the time its the gears in the motor assembly, he has seen it on several cavaliers and sunfires. he says most of the time you can open the motor pack and find the gears ,the washer, and the bolt sitting right there dettatched in the unit, which is an easy fix. anyone know if its possible to open it?

CamaroKid1979
12-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey Guys,
i have a 99 cavalier that is having the same problem but im ignorant to these cars, could you please tell me where the ABS sensors are? and how do you know if one is bad? Thanks alot!! Tyler

Karnoc
02-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Hello, i have the same problem, with a bit more. My lights came on at the same time but half the brakes don't work. the front left and the rear right brakes dont have any pressure, the opposing ones have more then they should. I have checked the sensors and both blocks and they both have pressure. the mileage is around 150000.

mstadt
03-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Most of the time a good wheel washing fixes this problem and make sure you a high pressure hose at any old car wash or at home. The carbon from the brake pads creates a lot of dust and gets trapped in the abs parts.

J-Ri
03-15-2009, 04:44 AM
1. Welcome to AF. Please start your own thread for help on a topic. "Hijacking" anothers thread isn't allowed, as stated in the user guidelines. Additionally, this thread was dead, the last legitimate post being in January of 08.

2. The ABS ring on the 99s is integral to the hub assembly, can't get dust in them.

Add your comment to this topic!