B18C5 Nitrous ????

cody_stl
01-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Sup all. I am saving for a b18c5 swap into my 4G Civic. My question is, with the high comp ratio (11.0:1) of this engine can i use a 65 or 75 shot of N2O safetly? Stock engine other than exhaust and cold air. Would i have to use some sort of engine managment just to use it to retard timing or anything like that?with the b18c5 and nitro would 93 octane pump gas be safe? My power goals are to basically lay down some law on these stock srt-4's runnin round. I have my mind made up on the engine so please, no comments on other engines/combos.I think with the 210hp engine plus a 65 or 75 shot of juice should put up on the srt's.I dont wanna go turbo cause of the high comp,and i dont wanna mess with internals...my first plan was to rebuild a b16 and turbo the shit outta it,but i want something easier and RELIABLE...so would a hefty shot of NOS be safe on this motor,and would any special tuning or engine management be needed?thanks

Schister66
01-11-2006, 02:05 PM
im not a nitrous pro, but i'm also not a big fan of it....to me, its like leasing power.....its cheap in the beginning, but after its all said and done, you have nothing to show for it!

Pavlo
01-11-2006, 07:58 PM
what Schister66 has in his avatar is the way to go. Power at all times and is way better than any nitrous (to me).
So save up either for a lower end B-series and build it to handle boost, or build a NA car (boost is better though).

cody_stl
01-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Look, i aint gonna get into an arguement about why nos or turbo is better in every persons eyes....that wasnt my question....yes there was a question in there...though both felt just posting opinion was a nessasary action.I dont feel the NEED to spend $3-4k on a turbo when i am buying a $4500 engine which by itself is allready a bad engine with 210hp and 135tq...in a 4G civic it will be fast allready. I am not road racing, i dont need a CONSTANT source of extra power...or i would turbo,all i want is a 65-75 shot of nos to shave time off a quarter mile,or light to light race now and again. NOS is all my lil civic needs to smoke some ricers round here and go to the track and have some fun and put up some descent times.
SOOO, with that said,if anyone can help me with the info i am seeking...please refer to the initial thread post. Thanks

Schister66
01-11-2006, 09:57 PM
1. That engine isn't going to give you that much power to the ground
2. My entire DIY kit only cost me $2400 w/a clutch and Crome tuning on a new P28
3. That's too much for that engine unless its a good company and a complete swap. There's an ITR block and bottom end for sale on HT for $650...no head or tranny, but you can use a GSR tranny or B16 on that w/ boost and you're just fine.

having said all that, have fun w/ your nitrous and yes you can put a 75 shot on an ITR, but listen to the instructions and retard the ignition whatever amount it says.

cody_stl
01-11-2006, 10:41 PM
2. My entire DIY kit only cost me $2400 w/a clutch and Crome tuning on a new P28
3. That's too much for that engine unless its a good company and a complete swap. There's an ITR block and bottom end for sale on HT for $650...no head or tranny, but you can use a GSR tranny or B16 on that w/ boost and you're just fine.

having said all that, have fun w/ your nitrous and yes you can put a 75 shot on an ITR, but listen to the instructions and retard the ignition whatever amount it says.

Thanks. So the kits come with timing retard info then.kay.So this does mean i will need something like an management system to change timing or can that be done on stock ecu?
The $4500 dollars is for a complete swap including complete Type R b18 with less than 40k on it...type R LSD tranny(which is one of the best tranny's honda ever made came on that engine) ecu,intake,exhaust mani,engine mounts...pretty much comes with everything,all i need is hasport mounts and some wiring.4500 is about the same price if ya look on the major JDM engine sites.This package is from JDM-online.com .thanks for the reply...i just dont really wanna go turbo.and short of a k20 this is what i have decided on.its prolly the 2nd best n/a factory FWD motor honda makes. All i want is a little extra kick to it...i'm not loking to break any records or be the king of saint louis streets,just a quick car is all. so basically,sum it up, engine swap,mounts,wiring,obd conversion....id all i need for that,prolly with getting it done at a local speedshop totalling around 5500-6k. i just wanted to know if i could throw 75 shot in it with out spending another gob of money in tuning.thats a big question actually,will i have to get it pro tuned or will the nitro kit cover it?
thanks again

cody_stl
01-12-2006, 12:03 PM

And...lets just say...for sake of arguement...i wanted to go the turbo route again. In opinion and fact what is the best B series engine for handling boost and can put out 200 torque numbers under say $6500k including swap and internals and tuning stuff???b16-b18b-b18c-what?I would like to have a vtec engine as well so keep this in mind,basically i like the high revs.

defman
01-25-2006, 11:03 AM
First of all, im not trying to start a huge argument but if you have a b16 laying around then I would get an b18b and buy golden eagle's lsvtec kit... along with some arp rod bolts or use your b16 rod bolts. I have had an lsvtec with a 75 shot for about 2 months now and putting 5+ cars on an srt4 is normal. That is if I understood you correctly and you have a b16 laying around...

TurboGSR96
01-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Damn let the guy put a shot on his car.....i do not see anything wrong with a 75 shot as long as you have good good gas in the car. Remember if you are going to use the gas....only use it for lets say 10 seconds max....more like 6-8 to be safe. Remember.....

"nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD.. u wanna hit it but ur afraid of the consequences"

TurboGSR96
01-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Oh....a 75 shot on an stock type-r would put you about 230 whp range, which would pull nice on an srt-4, especially in a hatchback.

Schister66
01-27-2006, 12:15 AM
And...lets just say...for sake of arguement...i wanted to go the turbo route again. In opinion and fact what is the best B series engine for handling boost and can put out 200 torque numbers under say $6500k including swap and internals and tuning stuff???b16-b18b-b18c-what?I would like to have a vtec engine as well so keep this in mind,basically i like the high revs.

You could ditch the Hype R motor and get a GSR, boost it to 300whp...about the same as me....and do it all for less than $6500....power all day every day w/o having to fill up. IMO Nitrous is like leasing power...cheap in the beginning, but when you're out, you have nothing to show for it. if you want to run more than 350whp and plan to build, tack on another $1000-1500 to the engine cost for a rebuild. At that point, it would be smarter to just buy a block, stuff it w/ w/e you want, get a head, tranny and the misc stuff you want.

Add your comment to this topic!