Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

86 cv ltd multi-problems

lonleymagi15
01-10-2006, 10:56 PM
hi, i could really use some help with these problems i've been having with my CV.

the first problem is the car dies like crazy, when it's in drive or even sometimes when in neutral, the car's engine light will kick on and will die instantly after being driven for a while. if you hold the break and give it steady gas it wont die, but i hate driving with two feet, i used to be able to just pop it in neutral when i came to a red light and then back in drive but even now it's still dying. the engine light will flicker after 15 min of driving even when i'm giving it gas.

also the battery is being killed in the process of all this, i was down town and the car died on me and wouldn't start back up, the battery died completly,

also i've noticed that when i get to about 35mph and try to maintain that speed, the engine will start reving and making this horrid noise. but aslong as i keep accelerating the noise goes away, it's just when i level out the speed that it makes a loud reving type of noise.

any ideas for any of the problems would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Nik

peppermrj
01-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Check engine light or battery/alternator light?
Have you changed the fuel filter?

arpco
01-13-2006, 10:06 PM
As far as the engine dying, check for broken vacuum hoses. Especially bigger ones going to the PVC valve (located behind the intake manifold), the hose going to the brake booster, or the hose under the intake manifold (accessable from the front). Better yet, buy a vacuum gauge and hook it to the intake and post the reading.

As far as the revving, put the tranny in drive (not O/D) and see if it still does it. Post results.

radioman2002
01-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Sounds like the AIC valve, it controls idle. There is a plug that connects to it. Make sure it's plugged in and not corroded, I have had my share of problems with them in the past.

amo4387622
01-31-2006, 10:57 PM
For your stalling problem it sounds like your IAC valve. As for the battery sounds like alternator not charging battery, might be time for a new alternator, but before you buy a new one have your local autozone check yours out for you. Also a little addvice for city driving 0-55 drive in D on highway 55+ drive in OD it will save your overdrive on your tranny.

Add your comment to this topic!