Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

battery light on but still charging

dennisallan
01-10-2006, 06:52 PM
1998 tercel battery light on, daytime running lights not working, lights/wipers get bright and dim depending on RPM or sometimes for no apparent reason. I replaced the alternator and the light remained on so I replaced old alternator and returned the rebuilt one. The battery is charged so I figure it is a voltage regulator prob? Is the voltage regulator built in to the alternator?

97cavalier
01-10-2006, 09:34 PM
1998 tercel battery light on, daytime running lights not working, lights/wipers get bright and dim depending on RPM or sometimes for no apparent reason. I replaced the alternator and the light remained on so I replaced old alternator and returned the rebuilt one. The battery is charged so I figure it is a voltage regulator prob? Is the voltage regulator built in to the alternator?
dumb question but did you replace the battery?

dennisallan
01-11-2006, 05:58 AM
dumb question but did you replace the battery?

I didn't change the battery because it does hold a charge and the blue light ontop of the battery is always blue. It is below 0 C / 32F here and the car starts perfect always. This problem has been going on for months now.

dennisallan
01-14-2006, 12:52 PM
I didn't change the battery because it does hold a charge and the blue light ontop of the battery is always blue. It is below 0 C / 32F here and the car starts perfect always. This problem has been going on for months now.

I just bought a new battery and same problem, the battery light is still on. Thinking I might try another alternator????????????

dennisallan
01-14-2006, 12:52 PM

I just bought a new battery and same problem, the battery light is still on. Thinking I might try another alternator????????????

dennisallan
01-19-2006, 08:12 PM
new ground cable, no change. Car off battery is 13.5 V and running under load it is 14.5V. Anybody have any other suggestions???

bssparks1202
04-25-2006, 09:45 PM
I am having this same problem on a 1996 toyota tercel. Can anybody come up with any ideas on what the problem could be??

Add your comment to this topic!