Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Camry V6 Auto O/drive off flashing

Deanlil
01-09-2006, 05:26 AM
This is my first post here so go easy and go slow.

I have an Australian 1990 Toyota Camry V6 Auto, It has 275000 km's on the clock many of them hard km's ( i got it real cheap off my brother) it still drives beautifully runs smooth and doesn't use any oil it also has a reco gearbox.
The other day I noticed on two occasions the overdrive off light flashing. It was after starting the car the motor/gearbox was still warm from the last trip, The overdrive was still working fine and it seemed that after 10 - 15 km's the light would go off. I was stuck and I had to do 350 km's to get home and it didn't miss a beat.
I'm thinking loose wire or dodgy sensor but that is just a guess.

Has anybody seen this problem before ? anybody got any idea's as to what might cause this ?

Thanks in advance.
Dean.

augie7071
01-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Mine on a 89 camry wagon works sometimes. I ignore it. You can tell by the RPM's if its working anyway. I know its annoying. Good talking to ya.

Deanlil
01-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi Augie,
This flashing appears to be a warning light its to regular to be a problem with the light thats why I think it must be either an actual problem with the transmition, a loose sensor wire or a dodgy sensor.

anybody have any ideas ?
Dean.

BlueFusion6851
01-13-2006, 03:58 PM
It means you need your transmission serviced. Get 'er dun!

Deanlil
01-14-2006, 08:04 AM
It means you need your transmission serviced. Get 'er dun!

Hi BlueFusion6851 or any one else qualified to answer.
Does this service have to be done by toyota (to reset the warning light) or can we just take the car to our regular mechanic and have it serviced??

Thanks,
Dean

DFBonnett
01-14-2006, 10:41 AM
From my '93 shop manual....

"If the O/D OFF light flashes when the O/D switch is set to ON, the electronic control system is faulty."

You should be able to pull the codes and then look them up to get a better idea of the problem. It is done with a scanner or by jumping two pins in the OBD connector port under the hood. You can look up the specifics on the net. It may be a wiring issue but more likely a bad or sticky solenoid.
FWIW, a lot of guys with Crapillacs with Northstar engines have solenoid problems in the trannies. Some have reported freeing up sluggish tranny solenoids with an additive from Lucas. I'm no big fan of snake oil additives so take that for what it is worth.
As Bluefusion notes, a drain and refill with a screen cleaning/change might do it. At that point, substituting a quart of Lucas for a quart of tranny fluid might be worth consideration.
FWIW
YMMV

Deanlil
01-15-2006, 05:02 AM
Thanks DF bonnett and Bluefusion,
I was actually planning on changing the transmission fluid to see if this would fix it I just need to find the time to do it. I may have to pay a mechaninc to do it as it is my wifes car and I don't want her getting stuck. I will see if I can get this Lucas product in Australia.

Dean.

DFBonnett
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't worry about the Lucas first. I'd just service the tranny. If that didn't get it done, I'd drain a quart and add some brand of tranny slick to it. If that fails then it will have to come apart.

Deanlil
01-23-2006, 05:31 AM
I still haven't managed to get time to change the fluid in my camry yet but I did get the error code out of the ECU this afternoon using a paper clip to short TE1 and E1.
number = flash, _ = off. The code was 1_2_3_4_5_6____7 repeated. Anyone know what this code means my Haines manual doesn't give transmission fault details and I couldnt find them on the net.

Thanks,
Dean.

Toysrme
01-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Download the ES250 factory service manual. It containes the engine, wiring & A/T manuals.

Transmission code 6-1:
"Defective No. 2 speed sensor (in ATM) -
Severed wire harness or short circuit"
See page AT-137

First try cancling the code. Pull the EFI fuse out for a second & replace it.

If it comes back, there you go.

Deanlil
01-24-2006, 03:17 AM
Thanks Toysrme,
I tried searching google and will try again later, any tips on were I can download the suggested manuals.

Thanks again,
Dean.

Toysrme
01-24-2006, 03:23 AM
Second stickied post in the Camry forum. First stickied post in the Lexus/Toyota ES/Windom forum.
(Thanks Brian!)

Add your comment to this topic!