Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

steering fluid leak

nyexchange
01-09-2006, 03:19 AM
my 95 buick lesabre is leaking steering fluid for about 6 month now. it usually takes about 32 ounce a month to keep it from being empty and making grinding noise.

could someone tell me what i need to replace to fix this problem?

i don't want to get overcharge when i go to fix this problem. one guy at my oil chane place said that i only need to change the steering fluid which include the pressure vales and stuff and that should be able to fix the leak for $150. another guy at at a different place said i need to replace a few things and not just 1 component, which will cost $500, which i think he is trying to scam me.

Loekee75
01-09-2006, 03:31 AM
Can you see where the source of the leak is located? You could be lucky and simply have a leak at one of the hoses. If that's not the case, I'd go with the $150 quote, 500 bucks is ridiculously high for PS maintenance

yogi_123rd
01-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Interesting -- I too had a pin hole leak. Turns out the system has an oil cooler. A steel line goes to the driver's side front of the radiator and back again as a well as a line going to the rack and pinion. It corroded into a small leak. Look for the leak near the radiator where the line is exposed.

To repair the line, just cut out the steel tubing that's bad and add a rubber hose with clamps.

PS. total code of repair: 2 hose clamps, 1 rubber hose, and 15 minutes of work.

Add your comment to this topic!