Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

help! kicker and orion knowledge needed

paulgotiong
01-09-2006, 01:24 AM
hi i just joined the forum. Anyone knowledgeable in orion amps and kicker compvr subs?

I had just finished setting my car with 3 compvr subs DVC at 4ohms in a vented enclosure using kicker box specs. i am using an orion 425hcca amp and an orion xtr250 amp. connected to the orion amp (chan 3 & 4)are the subs bridged to mono. then the remaining two channels are 4 tweeters wired in parallel. the xtr250 are connected with a pair of 6 1/2 midranges per channel wired in parallel in order to make it 2 ohms per channel.

My question is, would the rear channels of the orion hcca amp handle the 3 subs? each sub is wired in series to make it 8ohms then all three subs in parallel. thats approx 2.6ohm and since 2 channels are bridged, it would have an approx impedance of 1.33 ohms.

Also wat frequencies are best for my crossover. as of the moment im hooking an audio control eqx seriies 2. but im planning to use a kicker kx3 crossover then connected to another in-dash alpine line driver and eq.

Please give your comment on my system. thanks...

GSteg
01-09-2006, 02:50 AM
You amp will see the subwoofer's total load. The total load has nothing to do with the channels being bridged or not. For most amps, the only thing changes other than power when bridge is the stability load. If you wire each sub in series and then all three subwoofers in parallel, you'll get 2.67 ohm, regardless of the amp is bridged or not. What you want to find out is if the amp can handle that 2.67 ohm load when the amp is bridged.

Generally, if the amp is 2 ohm stable in stereo, then it'll be stable to 4 ohm mono. If your amp is only stable to 4 ohm in mono, then use two subwoofers, otherwise your amp is going to overheat. Either that, or find an dedicated subwoofer amp that is stable down to at least 2 ohm.

Your xover settings will be set accordingly to your ears. If it sounds good, then leave it the way it is. If not, adjust it until it sounds good. Generally, most people have it crossed between 63hz and 90hz. You have the occassional guys who sets it to 150hz and thinks it sounds awesome, but whatever floats their boats. I've done many xover points such as 63hz, 71hz, 80hz, etc with 1st order slope all the way to 4th order. The only way you'll get the best result is if you listen to it.

paulgotiong
01-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks for your help. i rily appreciate it. by the way, my amp which is an orion 425hhca is 0.5 ohm stable. so thats about 1 ohm mono. so i dont think its proper to wire my each sub in parallel and the 3 subs also in parallel to come up with a 0.67 ohm. because when i do that my amp goes into protection everytime i increase the volume. but my amp gains are only at 1/4 or below. Also, do you think if i wire my 3 subs to get an impedance of 2.67 my orion amp can handle and give out enough power for the 3 kicker cvrs?

As, for my amps crossover i put my settings at 80hz low-pass for the sub channels of the amp and 120hz for high pass aside from the audio control EQX which also functions as a 2-way crossover. My sub box is tuned at 45hz with a vented design. Are you familiar with the kicker kx3 crossover? which i plan to use in the future. currently i am using an audio control EQX which i borrowed for the meantime.

One more question, whats the ruling regarding the settings of your amps built in crossover and the settings of your active crossover? would it add up or wat? because if i set my amps crossover at 24db / octave at 80hz lowpass the frequency becomes 64hz lowpass right? and my audio control EQX crossover is also a 24db/ 2way.

Thanks man.

GSteg
01-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Also, i put my settings at 80hz low-pass for the subs and 120hz high pass. Are you familiar with the kicker kx3 crossover? which i plan to use in the future. currently i am using an audio control EQX which i borrowed for the meantime.

Thanks man.

Is the amp 0.5 ohm stereo stable or mono? If it's stereo, and you bridged the amp, then it's only going to be 1 ohm mono stable.

is the 120hz highpass for the speakers?

I'm not familiar with the kicker xover, but it shouldn't really be any different that most other xovers out there (maybe a few features here and there, but most likely the same kind of dial).

paulgotiong
01-09-2006, 09:03 PM
I pressume its 0.5ohm stereo. it doesnt say in the manual. but normally for a 4chan amp the ohm stable is normally referred to stereo. my other amp which is an 2 chan orion amp says 2 ohm stable and 4 ohm mono.

yes. the 120hz is for the 2pairs of 5 1/4 midranges only. the tweeters have a higher crossover slope.

the kicker is a 24db/octave lowpass with subsonic filter control and 18db/octave highpass. its a 3way active crosover. which can handle bandpass frequencies also.

by the way, i appreciate your help. there are not many experienced people here in the philippines than you guys there. We have at least 2-3 soundoff events in a year and i am planning to enter my first using the stuff that i currently have. i am an independent installer and me and my friend are the ones doing the settings and learning from it.

Thanks

GSteg
01-09-2006, 09:11 PM
If you're using channels 3 and 4 for subwoofer duty and you're running it bridge, then the stability is now only 1 ohm mono. Since you have all three subwoofers at 0.67 ohm, it's below your stable impedence, so the amp goes into production. It'll work at lower volume because the amp isn't producing as much heat. Once you get to a much higher volume, the heat generated by the amp is more than what the amp is allowing. his is why your amp only cuts out at higher volume.

Add your comment to this topic!