Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2.3 quad water pump

r5active
01-08-2006, 11:26 PM
where is the water pump located on a 2.3 quad 4 '95 grand am?

gmack221
01-09-2006, 08:30 AM
back side of the motor, it is ran off of the timing chain but can be changed without messing with the timing chain.

Remove the solid flat pipe (lower radiator hose, 3 bolts from the bottom) (the thermostat is in that pipe, get a good one from a dealership, don't want to do it twice), I believe there are 2 bolts that go into the head, and three nuts holding it to the timing chain cover. (the pump has a splined shaft that slides into a gear inside the timing chain cover, should slide right out, no need to mess with the timing chain!)

Not an easy job, but with enough patience anyone can do it.

skibum1111
01-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Yup, 3 nuts holding it to the timing cover, to get at the top one you have to remove the exhaust manifold. There is no way around this, I spent about 3 hours trying to figure a way out. Also, when removing the flat pipe to the front of the car there is a bolt holding it to the oil pan. Use a 13mm wrench, remove the bolt you don't loose any oil when the bolt is out. Make sure you put the bolt back in. And definately replace the thermostat while you have it all apart, its a miserable job to do with the exhaust manifold in place and you have to take it apart anyway to change the pump. Good luck.

gmack221
01-10-2006, 09:00 AM
I don't remember removing my exhaust manifold, maybe I just forgot, or it was still off at the time I changed my water pump. Either way you should be able to look at it and tell if it needs to come off or not.

r5active
01-10-2006, 07:33 PM
back side of the motor, it is ran off of the timing chain but can be changed without messing with the timing chain.

Remove the solid flat pipe (lower radiator hose, 3 bolts from the bottom) (the thermostat is in that pipe, get a good one from a dealership, don't want to do it twice), I believe there are 2 bolts that go into the head, and three nuts holding it to the timing chain cover. (the pump has a splined shaft that slides into a gear inside the timing chain cover, should slide right out, no need to mess with the timing chain!)

Not an easy job, but with enough patience anyone can do it.

Thanks for the response and I'll give it a try

r5active
01-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Yup, 3 nuts holding it to the timing cover, to get at the top one you have to remove the exhaust manifold. There is no way around this, I spent about 3 hours trying to figure a way out. Also, when removing the flat pipe to the front of the car there is a bolt holding it to the oil pan. Use a 13mm wrench, remove the bolt you don't loose any oil when the bolt is out. Make sure you put the bolt back in. And definately replace the thermostat while you have it all apart, its a miserable job to do with the exhaust manifold in place and you have to take it apart anyway to change the pump. Good luck.

Yes I agree it looks like the manifold needs to come off. How is it taking the manifold off will the bolts come out without twesting off? thanks for the response

gmack221
01-11-2006, 09:37 AM
that should have an aluminum head on it, mine came out without any problems, like always make sure the aluminum is cool before you remove any steel fastener from it, or you take the wrisk of pulling threads out with the fastener.

Add your comment to this topic!