Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

air box replacement

lightsnbags
01-08-2006, 10:38 PM
does anyone make an air intake for an 89 crown vic to replace that bulky stock one

amo4387622
01-08-2006, 11:55 PM
No there is no replacement. But the stock one is actully better than any aftermarket one because it is a true cold air intake and it is really not restrictive at all. I would just get a better flowing air filter for it.

backyard_mech420
01-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Wrong,There are a variety of cold air intake systems made for the 87-92 5.0 Mustang that will easily fit the 5.0 Vic,with little to no modifying.I recently found one on eBay for $35,www.jegs.com is also a good source.While the stock air box is a cold air intake,it is highly restrictive even with a K&N in it.On my 5.0 Vic the cold air intake was the cheapest HP gain I installed.

amo4387622
01-09-2006, 12:50 PM
The stock air box is not highly restrictive. I know this for a fact because I work at a dyno shop and have dynoed my car with the stock box on and then with some air intakes that we had modifiy to fit my 90 CV and there was really no difference. and all the intakes we tryed were made for a mustang. Plus a cold air intake on are CV's does not really do much to are cars.

Loekee75
01-10-2006, 07:46 AM
The stock air box is not highly restrictive. I know this for a fact because I work at a dyno shop and have dynoed my car with the stock box on and then with some air intakes that we had modifiy to fit my 90 CV and there was really no difference. and all the intakes we tryed were made for a mustang. Plus a cold air intake on are CV's does not really do much to are cars.

A dyno shop? I thought you did audio intalls for a living

amo4387622
01-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Loekee75, I do both my main job durning the week is installing mobile audio for tweeters. And on the weekend I work at my uncles performance shop where I mostly work the Dyno.

backyard_mech420
01-10-2006, 04:15 PM

I have access to a dyno,so I've actually had my '87 Vic dyno'ed every after every upgrade.I dont know what your setup is,but I saw gains of 10+RWHP in the upper rpms after replacing the stock air box,with a CAI w/K&N.The reason the stock 87-92 CV air box is restrictive is because it was designed to mute the sound of air being sucked into the engine at higher rpm's.ie:the reason why the non-restrictive 87-92 Mustang air box had a air silencer installed in it from the factory.

amo4387622
01-10-2006, 10:29 PM
backyard_mech420, What have you done to your car? Also what rpm did you see the 10Hp gains?

Add your comment to this topic!