Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What way to go.....Engine swap?????

dfarres
06-11-2002, 04:29 PM
Please voice ur thoughts......

i have a 1990 HB DX with 91 DX engine and 4spd tranny(?).... used 2 be automatic.

i'm looking 4 the cheapest (very limited funds - wife & kids) & easiest swap to do in the near future.....
i don't race, i just want something to rip over the mountain i commute everyday.......

also let me know what types of things i'll need besides engine, tranny, ECU and rewiring to mpfi.....

Thanks 4 the help.....:D

crxlvr
06-12-2002, 07:15 PM
the easiest swap to perform would be the JDM ZC swap. very simple to do, the hardest part is the re-wiring from dpfi - mpfi. an SI tranny works, but if you want better perfromance, use the ZC tranny with the SI last gear.

on top of the obvious parts(engine, tranny) you will need 90-93 integra axles, the full mpfi setup, ECU(SI), wiring harness(SI), and the required sensors.

whttrshpunk
06-13-2002, 08:54 AM
Integra axles for a zc swap? I didn't know that :confused:

dfarres
06-13-2002, 09:08 AM
what engine number is a zc? how many hp?

"88-91 Honda Performance Engine ZC(DOHC) 4 Cyl $495 Engine+5speed Trans: $600, +ECU: $750; +LSD: $950"

is this a good deal?? what is LSD??

EFsleeper
06-14-2002, 10:41 AM
The ZC is rated at 130-135 Hp with 108lbs of torque.

If you can get the engine, trans and ZC ecu for 700 bucks thats a good deal. LSD stands for limited slip differential. Some ZC trans used LSDs. You wouldnt really want to run the SI ECU for this swap. It has hesitation during certain RPMs. A better choice would be 88-89 Integra ECU or the ZC. Make sure that if you buy the ZC ECU it is labled a PM7! These are rare and alot of people will try to sell you the PG7 which is the integra computer. If you have a 4spd tranny right now you may need to buy new steering knuckles and hubs for the ZC tranny, Place racing makes axles that work. The ZC tranny has very close gearing and you mentioned that you are commuting with this car, what kind of speeds are you hitting? I saw you mentioned a mountain earlier. Is it really a mountain or just a large hill?
Expect 75 mph to turn around 4300 rpm in the ZC trans. It is lower in the SI hence better gas mileage. But in acceleration the ZC trans smokes the SI.

dfarres
06-17-2002, 11:22 AM
My average speed is about 65.
Over the mountain is between 15 & 50.
It is a mountain, it climbs from 100ft to 3000ft in 7 miles.

Thanks 4 all ur help so far....... I'm still looking & saving.

Add your comment to this topic!