looking for tips on how to raise horsepower on my 89' 929

bogie84
08-05-2001, 11:57 PM
I recently bought a 1989 Mazda 929, and was wondering if anybody could give me any tips on how to raise the horsepower or the overall performance. Any input would be helpful.
:help:

josedi
08-12-2001, 07:13 AM
Check your local muffler shop and just have them custom built you a bigger cat back exhaust, also universal K&N filter can fitted on this car with minor modifications but i know it can be done. This will give you ruffly about 10 to maybe 20HP, but the car will definitely feel faster because it will be able to breathe better and have more flow in the exhaust. Also some high end spark plugs and wires will help performance a bit, Advancing the timing a bit can also increase hp from 5-25HP depending on how much you advance it, but be sure to do it safely or with someone who knows. A new fuel filter, high or better grade fuel will also increase HP and make the engine run smoother. Good luck.

WildThing
07-29-2003, 05:31 PM
Is it the 2.2i or the 3.0V6 (or turbo) ?
If it's the V6, lose the cat-system and get a custom exhaust, and give it easier access to air.

SR20 Infiniti
01-03-2004, 03:09 AM
Check your local muffler shop and just have them custom built you a bigger cat back exhaust, also universal K&N filter can fitted on this car with minor modifications but i know it can be done. This will give you ruffly about 10 to maybe 20HP, but the car will definitely feel faster because it will be able to breathe better and have more flow in the exhaust. Also some high end spark plugs and wires will help performance a bit, Advancing the timing a bit can also increase hp from 5-25HP depending on how much you advance it, but be sure to do it safely or with someone who knows. A new fuel filter, high or better grade fuel will also increase HP and make the engine run smoother. Good luck.

that exactly what I did, it deffinetly help, the stock system is so restrictive

WildThing
01-03-2004, 02:08 PM
KN-filter on a 929 is sci-fi, the only thing you sholud do instead is to give the original filter more air. DO NOT REMOVE the original filtersystem, that's for kids who believe in Gran Turismo.

Did it myself, and the only thing I've gained is the need for a new air-regulator.

SR20 Infiniti
01-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Ive had my K&N for a year now, no problems at all. What is the air regulator and what year is your 929 ?

Michael Glover
06-19-2004, 06:04 AM
Amsoil lifetime filters are pretty good too and even less restrictive than K & N (apparently; according to Amsoil).
Also:
Change to synthetic oils (engine, gearbox and differential) will give a significant increase in power. I'm not really into Amsoil, but their oil seems to do the business.
Don't be hoodwinked into this extended oil drain interval/micro-filtration bullshit...it doesn't work and Amsoil's warranty, at the end of the day, isn't worth the paper it's written on. Been there and done that.
Run synthetic oil for 10,000 Km (6,000 miles) and change the filter at 5,000 Km (3,000 miles) and top-up the oil. Do this and the engine will last indefinately.
Always service the auto transmission at 20,000 km (12,000 miles)... get the bands adjusted and the filter and ATF replaced and the transmission will last indefinately. Amsoils synthetic ATF seems to be good in so much it is not affected by heat like mineral oil based ATF. Mobil have synthetic ATF too.
Replace the diff oil with Amsoil Series 2000 GL5 synthetic gear oil and the oil will never need replacing (unless it has water or something like that in it or has to be stripped down for repair, for some reason). Shell has synthetic gear oil as well.
Disclosure:
I'm not involved in any way with Amsoil and using their products in extended oil drain intervals, cost me two engines. Extended oil drain is not a good idea and the National Service Manager for Subaru New Zealand, was horrified at the notion. Amsoil declined to honour their warranty.

Emnet_n64
06-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Their are so many Universal K&N filters, which model number, and what kind of modifications in specific?

Proud Owner of a 1989 Mazda 929

Emnet_n64
06-17-2005, 11:20 AM
Their are so many Universal K&N filters, which model number, and what kind of modifications in specific?
http://www.knfilters.com/search/universal.aspx

Proud Owner of a 1989 Mazda 929

SR20 Infiniti
06-17-2005, 01:06 PM
the first one

mazdatech60
11-10-2005, 08:24 AM
1 Word..........chevy 350

5LTSWAP
02-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Honestly Just Do What I Did And Drop A Ford 5.o Liter Into It.
Have It For Almost Four Years, Lots Of Fun.

mad_nigerian
06-11-2006, 09:45 PM
ditch it and get a lamboghini, porshe or ferrarri, i have 2 929's and don't think it'll get n e faster

SR20 Infiniti
06-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Honestly Just Do What I Did And Drop A Ford 5.o Liter Into It.
Have It For Almost Four Years, Lots Of Fun.

lets see some pics to prove this.

Add your comment to this topic!