Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tops down....

csparks78
01-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Spring is getting close and I'm getting the bug already..... I haven't owned my TJ for more than a month and I'm wondering what is the norm..... Do you leave the top off all summer, only when your driving around, or only parts off (windows, doors)

Ray H
01-08-2006, 06:06 AM
The answer to that will depend on alot of things like do you have a garage, is it secure where you park it, whats the weather forecast. We have a 99 TJ that my wife usually drives. She usually takes the windows out but leave the top up on nice days but the top does occationally come down and when it does, its usually down for a few days straight because its garaged most of the time.
Conversely, We also have a 95 YJ that is lifted and locked and is our weekend play toy. I will sometimes take it to work or just out to drive and the top stays completely off of it pretty much all summer starting around April until October. It stays under a carport and usually only comes out when the forecast is dry or for off roading trips. If the weather is questionable, I put the safari top on real quick and call it good. Yes, weve been caught in the rain several times in the YJ with no top or doors, thats why theres always a jacket and slip on waterproof seat covers and a tarp and bungies stored in it.

GreenJeep10
01-08-2006, 05:30 PM
I only have a hard top for the moment but I think a hardtop wench is in my near future. I had a soft top before and I think I will just keep my hardtop and take it off and on in the garage. Needless to say I won't be going very far with the top off.

djmoore85
01-09-2006, 04:03 AM
I would definitely keep top and doors on when I park it overnight or whatnot, but if going for a drive, you better believe those doors and top is off. Always fun to go muddin when you and your passengers are getting drenched :iceslolan . And if the vehicle is wide open as such, nothing of value is kept in it :nono:

Millermagic
01-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Seeing how I live in central New York, it is impossible to go more than a few days without rain. We usually go with the top down a few times during the summer.

scoutinkeith
01-11-2006, 10:21 AM
I've got a 93 yj with a bestop supertop(soft top). it's mostly just a weekend toy, so during the summer the top is off 90% of the time. I have a trail cover that I put on when it's going to be parked. it ocasionally gets driven to work, and on those days, I usuailly put thetop down for the drive to work. however, the parking lot isn't verry secure, so I usuailly put the top back up wile it's parked druing the day.

csparks78
01-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Well I live in a small city of about 40,000 there isn't much crime here, very few auto thefts, some stereo thefts but I don't have much of a stereo anyways. Also I'm in western Colorado so rain is very rare. What if you lived in this environment? Would the top be off more? It sounds like you guys all live in very populated areas. I am originally from Portland Or. so I know how it can be! Thank god for small towns!

Ray H
01-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Well I live in a small city of about 40,000 there isn't much crime here, very few auto thefts, some stereo thefts but I don't have much of a stereo anyways. Also I'm in western Colorado so rain is very rare. What if you lived in this environment? Would the top be off more? It sounds like you guys all live in very populated areas. I am originally from Portland Or. so I know how it can be! Thank god for small towns!

The softtop is practically worthless for security anyway. Even with an alarm, you cant keep anything of value inside and count on it staying there. I just keep valueable items in a lockable storage drawer bolted in my YJ and leave the top and doors off much of the summer. With that said, it really is amazing what you can leave in the open without being ripped off. Lift up the Jeep, add some well choosen bumper stickers and keep it muddy and most thieves will avoid a confrontation with a "redneck" and move on to safer grounds.

scoutinkeith
01-24-2006, 09:12 AM
I'd have to agree that the soft tops are about worthless for protection of valuables, however, I work at a large university, and am required to have a parking permit. the permit is basically a little piece of plastic (about the size of a credit card) that is stuck to the insideof the windshield with little suction cups. I know a few other people that work here and drive jeeps, and they have all had their parking permits stolen from their jeeps when the left the tops down during the day, and parked on campus. it's not much, but having the top up, and the non locking soft doors on seems to have turned away any would-be permit steelers, as I am jet to have one stolen.

IslandHopper
01-31-2006, 05:16 PM
hmm...

The '95 I had on the island NEVER had the top on it ... I'd put a Bimini on it if I was going to do a LOT of driving just for sunburn protection.

But I had stripped the carpet out and left the drains open ... (daily rainshowers)... and it was under a roof when at home. It also helped that I never saw the temp below 75F for the entire two years I lived there (also never above 90).

Now I'm back in the states, and I just got another '95... still has the soft-top on it, but as winter draws to a close, I can see pulling the carpet again and just leaving it off 'till next winter.

wilwith1l
03-20-2006, 09:51 AM
When I take my doors off for the summer they stay off. They have been off for a month now, and i wouldn't trade it for anything.

cc_Penguin
04-18-2006, 03:58 PM
What is this "top" you speak of?

Seriously, I have both a hard top, and soft top that came with my Jeep when I bought it. I took the soft top off when I got it home that day, and it hasnt been seen since. I put the hard top on during the winter. But during the sumer, the hard top just stays in the garage.

Keep in mind, my Jeep is not a daily driver, just a weekend warrior. I have a company vehilce that I drive during the week, and a family vehicle (Avalanche) to cart the family around on rainy days.

But like most, my Jeep is a rolling project...

dfmote
04-19-2006, 12:55 PM
We had one hell of a storm Monday and wellllll when I got off work I had 3 inches of water in the floor. Pulled the plugs, got the shop vac and we good to go.

csparks78
04-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Yup doors are off, top is down, and soon the carpet is coming out Im lovin' it!!!

Katterinablu
05-26-2006, 11:41 AM
It doesnt ever rain here, but the sun is a killer so I have all the windows out on my daily drive, then on the w/e I pull the top down. Its still new so I've still got that keep it immaculate vibe going on, but I'm sure that will change soon. Already been caught in 2 sand storms so the inside is full of sand and I was eating it all the way home. Cant complain though, I love that Jeep!

Add your comment to this topic!