Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil loss - engine seized

gooddad
01-07-2006, 04:49 PM
My son's 95 talon tsi lost it's oil filter last night and the engine seized. the mechanic who works on the car says that's been know to happen on these cars. Actually, the shaft that holds the oil filter on came loose and spins. Any thoughts on how this could have happened? I think he is full of crap and wasn't paying attention. The filter was loose last week and a new filter was put on; it 's then when he said this has been known to happen; we only lost a couple of quarts that time and were lucky. I don't think he looked into the problem deep enough considering how critical oil is to the engine. The shaft where the filter connects tho the engine is spinning freely which is why the oil was lost this time and the engine seized. If this were a common problem everybody would be talking about it. Again, what would cause this to happen??? I've been driving for 37 years and I've never seen this happen on any car, anytime! thanks!

blk_srt
01-08-2006, 12:09 AM
I've heard it happen once before but I guess its happened quite a number of times and alot of them were caused my incompatant mechanics who weren't paying attention when they changed the oil. I'd take it to the shop (if thats where the oil was last changed) and tell them what happened and who ever did the change is liable and they owe you a motor it sounds like

SLoe
01-08-2006, 03:12 AM
Never heard of it. :2cents:

blk_srt
01-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Never heard of it. :2cents:There was a guy that posted hear a couple months back that took his eclipse to a jeffy lube or some place like that and they didnt tighten the oil filter and his motor seized and he ended up with a new motor out of the deal. I'll see if I can find the link

ez1286
01-08-2006, 10:45 AM
I don't think it's a problem with this cars, only incapable mechanics. The screw to the oil filter can be tightened and if the mechanic knew it was loose it's his fault.

gooddad
01-08-2006, 01:54 PM
It's not really a problem of him knowing how to put on a filter but when it had happened once before and we lucked out I think a good service mechanic should have investigated it thoroghly. If so, he would have found the problem and we would still have a running engine.

My main purpose behind the post was to find out if this was a common problem with eclipses or talons as he stated. Since the members on this forum have considerable experience with these cars...I hoped to get some feedback.

blk_srt
01-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Like ez said its not really a common problem with our cars but more like a problem with the installer. If the same thing happened before and you took it to the same mechanic and he didnt fix the problem in question it is his fault for not finding the root cause of why it came loose in the first place

ez1286
01-10-2006, 09:49 PM
My main purpose behind the post was to find out if this was a common problem with eclipses or talons as he stated. Since the members on this forum have considerable experience with these cars...I hoped to get some feedback.
Regardless of whether or not it is a "common problem" your mechanic should have seen the problem when he did the oil change. He is at fault and should replace the engine, if he won't do it get a lawyer.

Add your comment to this topic!