1999 Durango Tranny Problem?

cstradling24
01-07-2006, 05:24 PM
I have a 1999 Dodge Durango 4x4 and the transmission has been acting up lately. It just started to feel like its slipping. When I am driving along it seems like the transmission is slipping in first or second gear. Second gear is bad. In second gear the RPM's go up about 500 and then drop back down. When the RPM's go up you can tell somethingís slipping because your not picking up speed. In second gear it will do this about three times before its time to shift. Thatís just with the gas pedal about half way down. When I am in first it slips but not as bad. Since this started it lags when its time to shift also. For instance, it will drop out of second gear, the RPMís will go up about 1000 then it will catch third or first depending on if its downshifting or not. Basically it takes a while to catch another gear and feels like it slipping in gear. The transmission fluid is fairly new and full. It doesnít smell burnt or look discolored at all. I also hear a rattling noise when the throttle put down just the right amount. I donít know if this could be related or not. Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem is or if its and easy cheap fix or expensive. Thanks a lot.

Chad Stradling

x3mtm
01-10-2006, 07:24 AM
i had a similar problem where when i was on the highway at higher speeds, the rpms would go up and down and sometines shift up and down. the problem wans't the tranny but the throttle position sensor. it is a small piece to the left of the engine. it was only about a $5 to $6 piece. might wanna try it before you go into any costly tranny treatment.

cstradling24
01-10-2006, 08:48 AM
x3mtm Thanks

I tried thats though and it actually made things worse. Now in first gear my car wont shift untill about 4000 RPM's and thats when im barely on that gas at all. Any more ideas anyone?

Chad Stradling

Smoke24
04-20-2006, 09:07 PM
I have had the same problem. A mechanic friend took it and changed the filter and fluid and told me that something in the tranny is coming apart and clogging the filter. It worked fine right after he did this about a month or so ago but just started doing it again. He said the filter which should be light as a feather weighed about 10 or 15 pounds when he removed it and it had what looks to be fiber strands clogging it. I'm wondering if it is clutches coming apart or something inside the torque converter. I guess I'm a little lucky that I start to work for a friend that owns a trucks only junk yard in about another week. He also loves Dodges and buys lots of them that I will be hauling for him from the insurance sales in mostly the Southeast. I'll probably just get me a new(slightly used) tranny and torque converter from one of them. He also just got a super nice Dakota R/T that I may just have to buy and rebuild.

steelerguy
04-24-2006, 11:04 AM
There is a sensor on the bottom of the Tranny. I have change 2 on my 1999 fof similar problems. Costs about $20 at Autozone. Might be called the Vehicle speed sensor. Not sure.

If you change it, a couple of ounces of tranny fluid will come out, so let it cool down some first. I definitely had erratic shifting from this. The first one set off the check engine lite. The 2nd did not.

Good luck with this. The Durango trannies are not known for reliability. Mine was changed at 90K miles. Its the same tranny as Jeep cherokees. The overdrive gear howled & seals leaked from front & rear.

x3mtm
04-26-2006, 10:49 AM
hey, i have a similar problem, can you tell me the name of the sensor. thank you

steelerguy
04-26-2006, 11:35 AM
hey, i have a similar problem, can you tell me the name of the sensor. thank you

Called autozone & for the 5.9 engine, it's the "Speed Sensor" pt # SU1034. $24.95. with a 3 month warranty.

Very easy to change.

x3mtm
04-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Thank You!!!

x3mtm
05-15-2006, 01:46 PM
They Tell Me They Only Have The Output Sensor, Not The Input. Do I Just Change One Or Do I Need Both For The Tranny To Be " Good" Again?

steelerguy
05-15-2006, 03:35 PM
They Tell Me They Only Have The Output Sensor, Not The Input. Do I Just Change One Or Do I Need Both For The Tranny To Be " Good" Again?

The only one I know of is the "Speed Sensor" pt # SU1034 from Autozone. That is the one I changed twice on my 1999 with a 5.9 engine. I don't know if it was input or output & Autozone doesn't know either.

Mine was definitely on the bottom of the transmission & was plastic. My Haynes manual doesn't even have directions on how or when to locate or change it. Had to look at the vehicle to find it. Used an adjustable wrench & it popped right out. A little bit of fluid comes out when it's removed so let it cool down or do it cold.

Depending on the year & engine size, you may need a different part # or even have a totally different electronic system.

My first one flagged the check engine lite & had codes that told me what to change. If you get the check engine lite, you may have to go back to the parts store for them to reset the codes. I did & it worked fine. The second one caused the erratic shifting but never coded. 20,000 mile later the entire tranny blew entirely.

Durango transmissions are not know for durability. Make sure you know what you have & what you need as they will normally not refund sensors once they've been installed.

Good Luck.

rharris
02-13-2012, 03:14 PM
I have a 1999 Dodge Durango and it had a similar issue. I took it into the dodge dealership and they told me I needed a new transmission that would cost me upwards $4000 parts and labor. I had a gut feeling that the problem was not that serious.

I replaced the Vehicle speed sensor and it did not correct the problem.

I took the Durango to a "mom and pop" auto repair shop (well equipped and staffed) and discovered my problem was the "Throttle Position Sensor". The part cost about $50.

I have been driving my Durango for over a year since the repair without any issues.

The Dodge dealership tried to rip me off stating I needed a new transmission.

May I suggest having your "Throttle Position Sensor" replaced.

AzTruckGuy
02-22-2012, 02:15 AM
I know these posts on here are old but if anyone else has problems with their tranny, this might help. The Haynes Manual talks about the Throttle Valve Cable which is the problem i've had. I adjusted it and it fixed the problem. For about a year. It started messing up again so i had to readjust it. So i don't know if the cable gets stretched over time and needs to be replaced or if it gets out of adjustment. I don't know how it could since there's a clip that holds it in place. Anyways the T.V. Cable goes from the throttle to the tranny. Basically the throttle tells the tranny when to shift through that cable. Haynes says "This adjustment is critical; it must be correct for the transmission to function properly. If the cable is adjusted too loose, the transmission will upshift too early and may be accompanied by slippage; if it's adjusted too tight, the upshifts will be late (and downshifts during part-throttle operation will occur too soon)." I miss the old trannys that shifted by vacuum from the engine instead of these mechanical cables that have to be adjusted perfectly or they don't work right. :confused: Hope this helps everyone!

AzTruckGuy

Add your comment to this topic!