Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Skylark V6 4 Door Premature Brake Wear

pay_now
01-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Hey folks. I have a 1994 Buick Skylark V6.

I brought my car in the other day to be inspected and upon picking it up was told I will soon need front pads. The guy I spoke to wasn't sure about the rotors and the mechanic who inspected the vehicle had gone home. The guy I talked to said I may.

When I came in the next day and spoke to the inspecting mechanic, he said the pads were almost worn out. When I got home I popped the hubcap and could see the tab almost down to the rotor.

I just had the pads and rotors done by these guys in March 2005 and in that time have only put 8265 on the car. It was the end of March so its just about 9 months.

How is it possible I need this again so soon? I had a century that went through fronts quickly and I loved that car but it started to become annoying. This car is great too, but I don't want to have to do this every 8K as it cost me 250 the last time.

The other thing I don't understand is that the rears are OK. And they were OK when I last had the fronts repaired. Why is it that the fronts wear out so quickly?

I bought pads for about 40 bucks and a friend who knows how to do brakes is going to throw them on for me because there is no way I'm shelling out anymore money to mechanics for brakes.

Wanted to get some opinons from folks who know about brakes. Am I doing something wrong?

xtreme barton
01-24-2006, 07:17 PM
well a few things could of happened...

you got cheap pads put on by the mechanic (they wont tell you that)

as far as your rears... the front brakes do approx 70% of the braking.

you should try to start to slow down as soon as possible to avoid heaving breaking..

also be sure tranny fluid level is ok and that transmission is down shiffting correctly ..

Rogue177
02-23-2006, 08:34 AM
I have a 93 buick skylark and i have replaced the brakes twice in 2 years. I have spoken with several mechs and they say it's because the car is so heavy in the front and the front brakes do all the work for the most part. Do you have anti lock brakes, this can also be the problem iv'e been told. I put premium brakes on the fronts about six months ago and haven't had a problem since. these cars are known to go threw front brakes quite often.

Add your comment to this topic!