"Theft" Light

SniperX13
01-07-2006, 10:50 AM
When I start my car, every once and a while, the "Theft" light will blink rapidly even though the car is running. If I start driving, it slows its blinking, shutting off everyonce and a while, then starts blinking again, then finally shutting off a few miles down the road.

Is this an error with my key, or an error with the sensor??

I was told that the theft light is just for show, because the taurus really doesnt have a chip int he key, because it's not on the trunk of the key and there is no prongs to complete a circuit if there was a chip.

All help is greatly appreciated.

TaurusKing
01-07-2006, 02:33 PM
It does serve a purpose, it indicates whether the system is pre-armed or armed. There's two different systems, active and passive, passive uses a special coded key.

SniperX13
01-07-2006, 02:44 PM
It does serve a purpose, it indicates whether the system is pre-armed or armed. There's two different systems, active and passive, passive uses a special coded key.

ok, so why does the light go and blink hyper after the car is started??

shorod
01-07-2006, 11:57 PM
What year is your Taurus? Is there a chance that it is blinking out a diagnostic code? Fast flashes for tens digit, pause, fast flashes for ones digit, pause, next code (if any) and repeat three times, then goes out to stop distracting the driver? The airbag system will do this, but instead of going out after flashing out the code(s) it stays illuminated until the key is turned off.

I don't think Ford ever used the resistor in the key like GM did. The Ford PATS system that I'm familiar with uses an RF transponder (made by Texas Instruments) in the plastic body of the key, there is an antenna coil in the steering column around the key cylinder that reads the transponder and, if that key has been programmed to the system, allows the car to start. I don't recall what all years they used this PATS system. There were also a few variations of the PATS system, but I think they all used the transponder keys.

-Rod

SniperX13
01-08-2006, 09:27 AM
What year is your Taurus? Is there a chance that it is blinking out a diagnostic code? Fast flashes for tens digit, pause, fast flashes for ones digit, pause, next code (if any) and repeat three times, then goes out to stop distracting the driver? The airbag system will do this, but instead of going out after flashing out the code(s) it stays illuminated until the key is turned off.

I don't think Ford ever used the resistor in the key like GM did. The Ford PATS system that I'm familiar with uses an RF transponder (made by Texas Instruments) in the plastic body of the key, there is an antenna coil in the steering column around the key cylinder that reads the transponder and, if that key has been programmed to the system, allows the car to start. I don't recall what all years they used this PATS system. There were also a few variations of the PATS system, but I think they all used the transponder keys.

-Rod

I have a 1998 Taurus SE, with the 24v Duratec. I se what your saying about shooting out the trouble code, but it doesn't do this all th time, just every once and a while when I start the car. I can turn off the car, wait a few seconds, restart it, and it doesn't do it again.

TaurusKing
01-08-2006, 06:16 PM
I've been looking thru my books and cd's, seems that if there's a problem, the system will set a dtc, which you can pull out with a scanner, whether this will set your mil light to come on, I don't know... seems as though your system is working, you say it doesn't happen all the time. Check all door and hood switches to make sure they're all working, try arming your system and opening the door to set it off, you have keypad entry???

SniperX13
01-08-2006, 07:24 PM
see that's just it... I don't have an alarm on the car. I don't have a keypad entry as well.

as far as I am aware, it didn't come from the factory with one as well. I bought the car used, and it used to be a hertz rental out in California. I have had it now 3.5 years. Never had a problem with it until now.

TaurusKing
01-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Do you have the little four-button remotes for locking and unlocking the doors???

SniperX13
01-08-2006, 09:39 PM
nope, all I got was a single key.

TaurusKing
01-10-2006, 12:14 AM
Try this, next time you park the car, turn off the car, lock the doors with the lock button, your theft light should come on solid red, pre-armed for approx 30 seconds, then start blinking, which means it's armed.. do you have an original Ford factory key???

SniperX13
01-10-2006, 07:45 AM
no, I don't have a factory key. Its the same looking type of key, but it says "curtis" on it. it has a little rectangle patch on the top, which looks like where it might be where the chip is.

also, I have sat in the car and locked the doors before, and I don't remember the theft light ever staying fully lit. It just starts blinking.

shorod
01-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Since you mention your key has the rectangle patch on it, you most likely do have a PATS system, which would explain the "Theft" light. You will probably find that, since you only have one key and have a 1998 Taurus, if you ever need to get another key made, you will need to go to the dealer. The PATS system in 1998 required two programmed keys to program any additional keys. Will probably cost around $80 for a second key and programming.

I suspect that sometimes your PATS system is registering a trouble code and flashing out a code, but the problem is intermittant which is why you don't see the light all the time.

If you know someone with an OTC Genisys scan tool, or don't mind paying a dealer to pull the codes, that will probably explain what's happening. If it turns out that there are no codes, stored, current, or history, in the PATS system, then you'll probably need to look to the GEM and RAP modules. The Remote Antitheft Personality module and Generic Electronic Module are connected through the "Theft" LED generically speaking. I don't have the schematics memorized. :)

I really suspect that your light is trying to flash a code or codes to you. If you're in the Cedar Rapids, IA area I'd be happy to pull the PATS/GEM codes for you.

-Rod

SniperX13
01-10-2006, 03:15 PM
I wish, I live in the Topeka, KS area. If you happen to know someone out here, that might be helpful.

Guess I will check witht he dealer and see how much it is for them to pull the codes.

shorod
01-10-2006, 06:47 PM
If you can find a Mac Tool guy or a Cornwell Tools guy, they may be able to tell you some area shops that have the OTC Genisys, OTC Nemisys, Mac Determinator, or Cornwell [something] which are all the OTC tool. Since the software and cables are interchangeable, the Mac and Cornwell dealers may know who in the area has the competitors equipment.

The Snap-On scan tool may be able to pull the codes from the GEM and PATS modules as well, but I don't know. I have a Genisys so that's what I'm familiar with. I would expect that an independent shop would be willing to pull the codes for a lower rate than the dealer.

As far as the OTC tool goes, it is EXACTLY the same process and same amount of time to pull the codes from either the GEM or the PATS module as it is the OBD-II codes, so I would expect the flat rate for code reading to be the same as well.

-Rod

Maddog4800
01-27-2006, 05:31 PM
I also have a 98 Taurus SE with the 24v Duratec. It's theft light is flashing code 16 after I start it. Does anyone know what code 16 refers to? I have been unable to find anything on Google.

Thanks,

Maddog4800

TaurusKing
01-27-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm not seeing a code 16 anywhere,, I think troubles with the system will show up as a dtc using a scanner,, what is your light doing, flashing 16 times after you start???

Maddog4800
01-29-2006, 03:28 PM
On initial startup the theft light flashes very rapidly with no breaks for 30 secs to 1 min. Then the flashing stops, flashes once, short pause, flashes 6 times, long pause, then repeats the 1-6 sequence about 5 times then all flashing stops.

I had an 84 S-10 whose check engine light would flash similarly and the code would be read as 16. Maybe Ford means the code to be 1, 6, not 16. I don't know.

Add your comment to this topic!