Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

No car for me

clawhammer
01-06-2006, 10:55 AM
I guess I need to join Pedestrianforums.com now, because for the next few months I will no be driving.

Last Saturday night my CRX died on the side of the road because of electrical problems. I called my dad, and we tried jump-starting it, but never got it to move more than a few hundred feet without stalling. Finally, the car would die as soon as the jumper cables were removed, but the battery still had 12 volts. We ended up pushing the car to the parking lot of an apartment complex nearby (having the car weigh less than 2000 pounds was really nice), and it's been there since. We know that it's not the battery cause it has good voltage, and it's not the aletrnator, so some other electrical thing. I'm not going to even bother fixing it. I took the car off insurance this morning, and I will walk for the next few months.

My next car will be about a 2002 Honda S2000. This week I went and test drove two of them. I love them car. Everyone compalins about the lack of torque, but that didn't really seem to be a problem for me, but then again, my last car was a Honda as well, making an entire 100 foot pounds of torque. I absolutely loved everything about the car.

I've already taken some steps on getting the car. I will probably have to finance a good portion of the car, so I went to my credit union, and applied for a personal loan, and secured it with a CD. My interest will be 2%, and I'll be building credit history. My credit score is already 716, but I'd like to raise it a bit more. My problem is that I've only had credit for about 13 months, and in order to get a loan that will buy the car, I'd really have to have 24 months, or get a cosigner, but my parents are not in a position to do that right now. So, I'll see if I can get the loan on my own. If you have any suggestions or tips on the loan situation, feel free to post it.

CivRacer95
01-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Rob a bank...

Other than that, sorry about the Rex mang. Tough to see your lil'-engine-that-could die down. Good luck with the s2k. Any color preference by chance?

clawhammer
01-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Rob a bank...

Other than that, sorry about the Rex mang. Tough to see your lil'-engine-that-could die down. Good luck with the s2k. Any color preference by chance?
Yep. White with red interior. The second one that I drove was that same color combination.

rice(er)
01-06-2006, 12:26 PM
sorry mang.....it must suck...

clawhammer
01-06-2006, 01:00 PM
sorry mang.....it must suck...
Actually it really doesn't. I don't know why, but after driving that S2000, I really feel good. I don't know how long that feeling will last, but I'm determined on getting her.

RACER D12
01-06-2006, 01:03 PM
It was probably God telling you its time to get the S2K

-Jayson-
01-06-2006, 01:10 PM
nice choice on cars, dont you live in michigan though? Id be affraid to drive an S2000 in michigan winters, to many fucking morons who dont know how to drive in the snow or ice. Fucking idiots!

Anways i saw this car last summer at the local hang out, looks pretty tits.

http://imagecloset.com/1/01160106-50620001.JPG

Ace$nyper
01-06-2006, 01:18 PM
get another CRX!

DO IEEET

CBFryman
01-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Actually, dead batteries can still read over 12v. good battery usually reads between 12.6 and 13.5v fully charged and dead batteries can read in the lower range of that.
If your battery is dead and your alternator is bad you will experenced exactly what you where just describing. :)
go to an autoparts store and have them test your battery and charing system.

turtlecrxsi
01-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Actually, dead batteries can still read over 12v. good battery usually reads between 12.6 and 13.5v fully charged and dead batteries can read in the lower range of that.
If your battery is dead and your alternator is bad you will experenced exactly what you where just describing. :)
go to an autoparts store and have them test your battery and charing system.

Definitely. Don't give up the CRX. If the car is in relatively good shape, it's still worth fixing. Hell, if you saw my car you'd think I would've given up by now. Well, I haven't. I can't afford to buy a new car with the stack of bills I currently pay. But somehow, it really doesn't bother me to drive a 15 year old car that feels every bump in the road. Shit, I just avoid them. It's not screaming hp and I don't even have vtak yo! But hey, it gets around 30mpg and probably weighs less than yours does. The point is, if you're in a jam, don't put yourself in another jam, work your way out of this one first. Also, if you get the car to run, you can actually sell it for more money...

clawhammer
01-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Yep, I live in Michigan. For winter, I'm going to take it off insurance and get a $500 beater car. The s2k will be safe in my parents garage.

I've been wanting the s2k for quite some time now. I never really had the motivation to save up the downpayment, but not having a car for a few months will do it. My parents are looking at getting a used car (like 2-3 years old) and a lot of small car dealers have like a $2000-3000 minimum trade in deal, and their prices aren't really more than the other dealers. So they're probably going to end up using the CRX as the trade-in, and give me like $500, which is fine with me.

Also, not having a car for 3-6 months will allow me to save probably another $150/month, and that's the thing, I don't NEED a car. I live on campus, and I can walk everywhere. The S2000 will be a toy, and not transportation.

TheStang00
01-06-2006, 05:19 PM
all i know about s2000's is i saw grannies do donuts in em on top gear...

-Jayson-
01-06-2006, 11:09 PM
uhh incase you dont know, if you making payments on a car, You must carry full coverage at all times. No matter what. Its part of the contract when you sign for a loan on the car.

TheStang00
01-06-2006, 11:57 PM
if i bought a car that new id put full coverage on it anyway. i have it on mine...

BlackGT2000
01-07-2006, 03:37 AM
I take the collision off my mustang every winter when its not being driven. As long as its got collision by the time its driven than its still legal.

clawhammer
01-07-2006, 08:48 AM
uhh incase you dont know, if you making payments on a car, You must carry full coverage at all times. No matter what. Its part of the contract when you sign for a loan on the car.
All I would need is to cover it i case it got stolen or vandalized. I wouldn't need liability or collision. Maybe I should ask insurance about that, but I'm pretty sure that I can do that.

CBFryman
01-07-2006, 08:49 AM
i still say at least FIX the CRX. $40 scrap alternator is all it probably needs. and for that itwill increase the cars trade in by a LOT.

BlackGT2000
01-07-2006, 09:50 AM
All I would need is to cover it i case it got stolen or vandalized. I wouldn't need liability or collision. Maybe I should ask insurance about that, but I'm pretty sure that I can do that.

Liability I think does have to stay on. Could be a tree falls on the car, garage burns down...that kind of thing should be covered with liability. Collision, you can't colide with anything if you aren't driving it, I take that off every winter.

-Jayson-
01-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Liability I think does have to stay on. Could be a tree falls on the car, garage burns down...that kind of thing should be covered with liability. Collision, you can't colide with anything if you aren't driving it, I take that off every winter.

noo see thats where your wrong cause the bank doesnt trust you not to drive it. If they find out your canceling collision, they might raise your interest rates. If you loaned me 20k for a car, and i canceled collision and parked it in the winter, would you trust me not to take it out for a quick spin.

Anyways fuck the CRX, get the S2000 kicks major ass.

clawhammer
01-07-2006, 12:57 PM
That's not the way I understand it. Liability is say you cause an accident, and liability will pay for the other persons car and medical bills. Comprehensive will pay for your car if it burns down, gets stolen, etc. Collision will pay for your car if you have an accident.

-Jayson-
01-07-2006, 01:06 PM
nope your all wrong. Michigan has whats called no fault insurance. This means that no matter who caused the accident, YOUR insurance company is responsable for YOUR repairs and YOUR repairs only. Trust me this is how it works. 2 summers ago i got rear ended, the guy who hit me got a ticket, but my insurance still payed for all the repairs. HIs insurance company gave me 500 bucks to cover my deductable, and in michigan thats all you can get from the other persons insurance company. If you want more, you have to take the person to small claims court.

My younger brother also got into an accident, again he wasnt at fault for it. He has just basic insurance, liability only. His car was totalled, he got 500 bucks from the other guys insurance company. Thats all he got. The car was worth prolly 1500 bucks, it was a junker, but he still could only get 500 bucks from the other guys insurance company. ANd the guy did have full coverage, he was driving a very nice car, it was an older man. So like a Lincoln Continental or something.

TheStang00
01-07-2006, 01:31 PM
^^ thats not how it works here... some guy backed into my car and his insurance covered it all since he was liable. my insurance never even knew it happened

clawhammer
01-07-2006, 04:36 PM
nope your all wrong. Michigan has whats called no fault insurance. This means that no matter who caused the accident, YOUR insurance company is responsable for YOUR repairs and YOUR repairs only. Trust me this is how it works. 2 summers ago i got rear ended, the guy who hit me got a ticket, but my insurance still payed for all the repairs. HIs insurance company gave me 500 bucks to cover my deductable, and in michigan thats all you can get from the other persons insurance company. If you want more, you have to take the person to small claims court.

My younger brother also got into an accident, again he wasnt at fault for it. He has just basic insurance, liability only. His car was totalled, he got 500 bucks from the other guys insurance company. Thats all he got. The car was worth prolly 1500 bucks, it was a junker, but he still could only get 500 bucks from the other guys insurance company. ANd the guy did have full coverage, he was driving a very nice car, it was an older man. So like a Lincoln Continental or something.

I'm aware that Michigan has the no fault insurance. But my question is, who paid for your medical bills, or did you not have any? I still don't think I need any other insurance other than comprehensive.

-Jayson-
01-08-2006, 02:04 AM
i didnt have any medical bills, and if i did my insurance would pay for it

insurance is not something you want to cheap out on

CBFryman
01-08-2006, 07:56 AM
PIP = Medical Bills :)

turtlecrxsi
01-09-2006, 09:16 AM
From my understanding, most bank loans require full coverage. Even a small title loan, the bank holds the title and you need full coverage. Either way, S2000 is a decent enough car. I like them, but I'd rather drive a mint CRX with a swap unless the S2000 was hard-covered and blown... my .02

Add your comment to this topic!