Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Stereo Power Wiring

benlasher
01-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Common problem I think....

New stereo installed in 1990 Passat. Old radio worked with ignition on or off. It was wired into a battery power connection.

New stereo has no off switch and draws power with ignition off. Need to find an ignition power source that turns off with the ignition.

Can anyone identify that wire for em in the car stereo area of the dash?

DreamT
02-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Common problem I think....

New stereo installed in 1990 Passat. Old radio worked with ignition on or off. It was wired into a battery power connection.

New stereo has no off switch and draws power with ignition off. Need to find an ignition power source that turns off with the ignition.

Can anyone identify that wire for em in the car stereo area of the dash?

When I installed a new car stereo I had to switch the red and the yellow wire to make it work. The red wire is connected to the battery all the time to keep the memory and stuff "alive" on the car stereo, and the yellow wire is connected to the ignition switch, and powers the stereo so that it goes on when you start the car.

PeterG.
03-02-2006, 01:33 PM
When I installed a new car stereo I had to switch the red and the yellow wire to make it work. The red wire is connected to the battery all the time to keep the memory and stuff "alive" on the car stereo, and the yellow wire is connected to the ignition switch, and powers the stereo so that it goes on when you start the car.

I had a similar problem until I discovered in the user's manual -Sony CDX 4270R - " Warning when installing in a car without ACC (accesssory) position on the ignition key switch. Be sure to press 'OFF' on the unit for two seconds to turn off..."

Add your comment to this topic!