Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking for first vehicle

waazzuup
01-05-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm a freshman in college and currently have nothing to drive. I have been looking online and I found a Honda 2003 CR-V EX that seems to be a good deal. I don't know anything about it besides what little information is online. It's at a used car dealership about 2 hours away and I was wondering if someone could carfax it for me.
The VIN is SHSRD78813U135341

I really don't know a lot about buying used vehicles. If anyone has any advice, let me know. Thanks :smile:

Chad82
01-06-2006, 09:23 PM
If it is a used car dealership, they will normally run a carfax for you on their dime.

When buying a used car, I think there are 5 things you need to do:

1) Research. Find all the info on the vehicle you can including reliability, "value", safety, and depreciation.

2) Test drive. Preferably multiple of the same model. This will give you an idea how it should handle.

3) Get a 3rd party mechanic to check it out. If the selling party doesn't allow this, they are hiding something so deal is off. They will know more than you possibly could in the timeline of you buying the vehicle.

4) Assuming all up to this point is good, negotiate. You know what you should pay for the car based on your research. Try to beat that. At used car lots, I always come in low balling. Make it an uphill battle for them, not for you. Document everything wrong with the car. Theres a ding on rear passenger side door? The power antenna doesn't go up and down? Discoloration on the floor? Little things add up. Be meticulous. Get them on the defensive.

5) Don't be pressured. They will try to pressure you. They will use the cliche "What do I have to do to get you to drive home in this today" and give you a crooked smile. They will pull bull shit of "We won't be making a dime off of this!" and they will say they are your friend. If you don't like the way the deal is going, walk away. If you don't like the salesman, walk away. If don't like the interest rates, walk away (don't fall for the "we can refinance in a year" bullshit as you will be paying interest on your already accrued interest). You have to play hardball.

tylernt
01-15-2006, 08:28 PM
5) Don't be pressured. They will try to pressure you. Fresh out of high school I was looking around a used car lot. Next thing I know, a used car shark has me in the office with the forms in front of me to sign for a used sports car I couldn't pay for and didn't want. I must have sat in that office for an hour while he "negotiated" with the boss to "knock a little more off the price" and "make me a deal I couldn't refuse". Obviously I was an easy mark, young and inexperienced. I'm glad to say I finally got a little rude and walked out -- best decision ever made at that time! The moral of the story, when you go used car shopping, take along an old guy for shark repellent. Especially if you are female!

Also, even with your old guy in tow, don't be afraid to walk away from a car even after making an offer or getting it checked by a mechanic etc. Since my first experience, I have twice more seriously looked at a car and then -- even though it broke the poor salesman's heart -- I walked away because it didn't feel right. There are tons of used cars out there, don't get attached to any one before you buy it.

drdisque
01-16-2006, 10:48 PM
I ran a VIN Check on that CRV you're looking at and it has a salvage title and it was in a collision with a guardrail. STAY AWAY.

Add your comment to this topic!