98 Blazer 4x4 Rear Oil Seal

chigger23
01-05-2006, 01:00 PM
So like, this has been leaking for about a year now. Very little, like maybe a 1/2 of a dime or less spot on Garage floor. If I fill the oil up upon change every 3 months or 3500 miles or so, it may be down a 1/2 quart or so. 125K Miles on it.

Had been given advice that if it is only a smal leak and the the level was never less than a 1/2 quart lower than totally full that this type of rear oil seal leak could just be monitored and may never get any worse or cause any other problems. Not knowing much about Car or Truck Engines ..........is this true????? Could the oil be also leaking into say the transmission or somewhere else and screwing it up?

Also is this something a Local Mechanic should be able to fix correctly or do I need to go to Dealership? How much time/ cost be to do this so I am not getting ripped off. Looks like they would have to drop the Tranny.

THANKS

Jeremy Fitch
01-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Are you sure its the real seal that is leaking and not your oil cooler lines? Sometimes the cooler lines will leak and the oil will blow father back on the engine and drip from the rear of the engine so it looks like it is the rear seal.

chigger23
01-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Are you sure its the real seal that is leaking and not your oil cooler lines? Sometimes the cooler lines will leak and the oil will blow father back on the engine and drip from the rear of the engine so it looks like it is the rear seal.

Not sure at all, taking a quick lube guys word for it, obviously would have it confirmed by a reputable mechanic before doing work.

My questions still remain?
\

Jeremy Fitch
01-05-2006, 02:22 PM
replacing rear seal is a major job, it would cost big bucks. If it not leaking real bad you could let it go. It will not effect transmission or anything.

chigger23
01-05-2006, 02:42 PM
replacing rear seal is a major job, it would cost big bucks. If it not leaking real bad you could let it go. It will not effect transmission or anything.
tHANKS

Southern Comfort
01-05-2006, 07:07 PM
tHANKS
For what it's worth,I have a 99 ZR2,4.3 Vortec which is the same as yours. It's a one piece seal. I just rebuilt my tranny. While I had the tranny out, it looked as though I had a rear main oil seal leaking. I removed the flywheel and found it was my oil pan gasket that was leaking. If it's not leaking any more than that, I wouldn't worry about it. It is a fairly exspencive repair unless you do it your self. The tranny does have to be remove as well as the flywheel. Quiet a bit of labor and time involved. As far as oil getting into your tranny, it can only get into the bellhousing, possibly into your starter. If you have a straight shift, it will get into the clutch and cause it to slip and burn the clutch out of it. Just check your oil level weekly or bi-weekly to monitor it. Should last for quiet a long time.
Southern

Floyd_ODB
01-05-2006, 07:59 PM
I have used this with great success
http://www.permatex.com/products/prodidx.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=get_item&item_no=82096

Corey96LS
01-14-2006, 01:34 PM
I Just purchased a 96 Blazer Ls From a local dealer with 79,000 miles on it.. i bought the truck thinking there was no warranty, but they surprised me and gave me one with the purchase.. About 2 weeks after buying the truck, i noticed oil leaking.. i quikly called the dealer, and they towed the truck to the garage.. come to find out, it was a rear main seal.. i was told it was an expensive fix, but if its not leaking that bad, you do not need to have it fixed..

drdd
01-14-2006, 01:37 PM
auto-rx.com

So like, this has been leaking for about a year now. Very little, like maybe a 1/2 of a dime or less spot on Garage floor. If I fill the oil up upon change every 3 months or 3500 miles or so, it may be down a 1/2 quart or so. 125K Miles on it.

Had been given advice that if it is only a smal leak and the the level was never less than a 1/2 quart lower than totally full that this type of rear oil seal leak could just be monitored and may never get any worse or cause any other problems. Not knowing much about Car or Truck Engines ..........is this true????? Could the oil be also leaking into say the transmission or somewhere else and screwing it up?

Also is this something a Local Mechanic should be able to fix correctly or do I need to go to Dealership? How much time/ cost be to do this so I am not getting ripped off. Looks like they would have to drop the Tranny.

THANKS

BlazerLT
01-14-2006, 01:47 PM
For a small 1/2 a dime sized drop and 1/2 a quart use every 3500 miles, I wouldn't worry about it.

1/2 a quart consumption over 3500miles is completely normal.

joeuser742
01-14-2006, 10:14 PM
I have the same truck and just changed my rear main seal. It got to a point where I was adding about 1-2 quarts of oil per week. I tried rear seal stop leak, but didn't last long. In my driveway with some help, it took a good 3 full days, if I had known how to take things apart, then it would have taken less time. If you decide to do the job, post for some help, it'll make things go much quicker.
Also, one way to see if the rear seal or the oil lines are leaking is to pull the bell housing small cap off and feel if there is any oil inside(with the engine off, of coarse).

BlazerLT
01-15-2006, 12:52 AM
I Just purchased a 96 Blazer Ls From a local dealer with 79,000 miles on it.. i bought the truck thinking there was no warranty, but they surprised me and gave me one with the purchase.. About 2 weeks after buying the truck, i noticed oil leaking.. i quikly called the dealer, and they towed the truck to the garage.. come to find out, it was a rear main seal.. i was told it was an expensive fix, but if its not leaking that bad, you do not need to have it fixed..

They are trying to get out of warranty work.

Tell them to fix it or you will call your lawyer.

They are trying to get out of doing it. Oil leaking isn't saomething you just deal with when a warranty is in question.

Add your comment to this topic!