FWD or RWD?

SuperStock96
01-04-2006, 10:56 PM
The new mazdaspeed6 is all wheel drive when needed as opposed to the mazda6 that is FWD. Here's my question though. Is the new ms6 normally FWD or RWD? I've read 2 articles on the car and they both contain nearly the exact same sentence regarding this issue.
SPEED Magazine reads, "The Mazdaspeed6 uses a transverse, 6-speed transaxle with electronically controlled clutch sending power to the rear wheels for a front to rear torque split variable from 100:0 to 50:50."
I realize it says that it sends power to the rear wheels, but it says that the front to rear is 100:0 to 50:50. I would think that if it were rear wheel drive it would read the split being 0:100 to 50:50.
Generally I would just think it is normally FWD, but I also haven't heard of any other cars that are FWD/AWD. Its always been RWD/AWD from what I've seen.
Did I just make this a lot more confusing than it needed to be?

Madcat455
01-05-2006, 10:50 AM
LOL... confusing, no.

It's FWD mainly until the AWD is needed... what conditions that are programmed to meet that criteria are beyond me though.

Most other AWD cars are 50:50 normally... but there are a few other makes out there that use the variable splitting with the fronts being on normally.

Add your comment to this topic!