Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AC/HEATER FAN trouble

bigcat
01-04-2006, 07:52 PM
I have a 1998 regal. When i start the car ,the headlights and all dash lights are fine. Then when i turn the heater fan on,the headlights go out. I pull the light switch out manualy,the lights work fine,but the fan still does not run.It does not work in any speed or with the control in any position.When this first started,it would run only in high speed.This is not a constant problem,sometimes everything works fine,but not for long.Could this be a ground or a hot wire going to ground problem,or a controller problem ? When this starts i can turn the fan switch off and push the light switch in so that it is in the auto position and the headlights start going on and off repeatedly Thanks a lot for any help.

BNaylor
01-05-2006, 07:53 AM
I hate to give you bad news but from what I see your symptoms are classic of a defective ignition switch and harness assembly.

Also, it would be nice to know if you have a manually controlled HVAC or auto digital climate control?

bigcat
01-05-2006, 07:41 PM
I hate to give you bad news but from what I see your symptoms are classic of a defective ignition switch and harness assembly.

Also, it would be nice to know if you have a manually controlled HVAC or auto digital climate control?
Thanks for the info. The controls are manual.I also forgot to mention the cruise control is affected also when these troubles start. If this is the problem,is it exspensive and can a do it yourselfer handle it ? Again,thanks for the help bnaylor3400.

BNaylor
01-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the info. The controls are manual.I also forgot to mention the cruise control is affected also when these troubles start. If this is the problem,is it exspensive and can a do it yourselfer handle it ? Again,thanks for the help bnaylor3400.

You're welcome. The switch itself is not that expensive. Around $100.00.
The key tumbler is separate and will not be needed. Use old one. Cruise control being affected is one of the other symptoms.

Here is a general writeup for DIY R&R of the ignition switch and harness.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/switch_igntion.gif

BEFORE BEGINING THIS REPAIR REMOVE THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL FROM THE BATTERY. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DO THE REPAIR WITHOUT DOING THIS.

Look inside the slot where the tilt steering knob is located. There is a black metal piece where the knob inserts into the tilt mechanism. Pry it back slightly with a small screwdriver. One from an electronics tool set will work. While you have it pried, pull the knob out and it should release.

Remove the two screws from the bottom of the steering column cover and remove the cover.

Remove the two screws that hold the top steering column cover in place.

Insert the ignition key into the key cylinder and turn the key clockwise to the start position. Nothing will happen because you have disconnected the battery prior to starting this project. Lift the top steering column cover being careful not to break it because it is still held in place by the ignition key cylinder. You will see with your mirror near the back end of the cylinder housing a small hole. Stick a small allen wrench in the hole, this will release the key cylinder so that it can be pulled out. Once the key cylinder is removed the column top cover is free to be removed.

The black box below the key cylinder with all of the wires coming out of it is the ignition switch that you are changing. Look at the switch you have purchased for this repair. Notice that the small white plug with two wires attached has a tab on the side that can be pushed down, this is the release for the plug-in. Using your mirror you will see that plug-in against the ignition switch housing where it plugs in. Using a small screw driver press the release tab in against the plug and rotate the plug 90 degrees to the right to remove it. To do otherwise may break the plug.

Remove the plug from the white key release device by inserting a small screw driver and pressing the release tab on it.

Undo the two screws holding the ignition switch.

Undo the plug at the opposite end of the ignition switch by unscrewing the bolt in the center of the plug and unplugging it.

There is a black wiring plug on top and a gray one on the bottom of the ignition switch plug that need to be removed. This is done by prying the center of the plug case where it meets the ignition harness plug while sliding it forward.

Cut any tywraps holding the wire harness in place and feed it out of the dash.

To install do the reverse of the above, and tywrap the new harness into place. Be sure to properly align the key cylinder when replacing it in the housing and if the key will not come out of the cylinder there is a silver key release button at the bottom of the white device in front of the ignition switch. Press it and the key will come out. Also when replacing the ignition switch make sure that the slot in the switch is properly aligned with the corresponding part on the steering column that fits in the slot.

bigcat
01-06-2006, 07:13 PM
You're welcome. The switch itself is not that expensive. Around $100.00.
The key tumbler is separate and will not be needed. Use old one. Cruise control being affected is one of the other symptoms.

Here is a general writeup for DIY R&R of the ignition switch and harness.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/switch_igntion.gif

BEFORE BEGINING THIS REPAIR REMOVE THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL FROM THE BATTERY. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DO THE REPAIR WITHOUT DOING THIS.

Look inside the slot where the tilt steering knob is located. There is a black metal piece where the knob inserts into the tilt mechanism. Pry it back slightly with a small screwdriver. One from an electronics tool set will work. While you have it pried, pull the knob out and it should release.

Remove the two screws from the bottom of the steering column cover and remove the cover.

Remove the two screws that hold the top steering column cover in place.

Insert the ignition key into the key cylinder and turn the key clockwise to the start position. Nothing will happen because you have disconnected the battery prior to starting this project. Lift the top steering column cover being careful not to break it because it is still held in place by the ignition key cylinder. You will see with your mirror near the back end of the cylinder housing a small hole. Stick a small allen wrench in the hole, this will release the key cylinder so that it can be pulled out. Once the key cylinder is removed the column top cover is free to be removed.

The black box below the key cylinder with all of the wires coming out of it is the ignition switch that you are changing. Look at the switch you have purchased for this repair. Notice that the small white plug with two wires attached has a tab on the side that can be pushed down, this is the release for the plug-in. Using your mirror you will see that plug-in against the ignition switch housing where it plugs in. Using a small screw driver press the release tab in against the plug and rotate the plug 90 degrees to the right to remove it. To do otherwise may break the plug.

Remove the plug from the white key release device by inserting a small screw driver and pressing the release tab on it.

Undo the two screws holding the ignition switch.

Undo the plug at the opposite end of the ignition switch by unscrewing the bolt in the center of the plug and unplugging it.

There is a black wiring plug on top and a gray one on the bottom of the ignition switch plug that need to be removed. This is done by prying the center of the plug case where it meets the ignition harness plug while sliding it forward.

Cut any tywraps holding the wire harness in place and feed it out of the dash.

To install do the reverse of the above, and tywrap the new harness into place. Be sure to properly align the key cylinder when replacing it in the housing and if the key will not come out of the cylinder there is a silver key release button at the bottom of the white device in front of the ignition switch. Press it and the key will come out. Also when replacing the ignition switch make sure that the slot in the switch is properly aligned with the corresponding part on the steering column that fits in the slot.
A big thanks, and i will let you know how it turns out.

Add your comment to this topic!