Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Forgotten subaru

Seanpm
01-04-2006, 04:42 PM
I just wanted to get everyones take on the Subaru SVX

Wolfwood
01-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I think they're cool looking, and really unique, but thats about all they have going for them. They're heavy (about 3500lbs) and kind of slow, about 8sec 0-60 and about 16sec 1/4 mile. I've also remember that they had some mechanical problems but dont recall what those were.

Chad82
01-04-2006, 11:18 PM
I personally love them. Very interesting design. I wouldn't call them "kind of slow" but they certainly aren't a rocket. My old girlfriend has one. Wrapped it around a tree and then got another. They will nickle and dime you, though.

NISSANSPDR
01-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Yea they are a bit heavy...230 or so HP out of a V6. FWD or AWD and auto only. Manged 60 in anywhere from 6.9 to 7.4.

Article from 97 about the car

http://www.subarusvx.com/articles/article1.html

VAD0R
01-05-2006, 12:00 AM
I like the way they look, I guess I'm a bit biased because I drive one. As for weight the early models or at least from 1992-93 their weight is at roughly 3500lbs, which is not bad considering automatic 300zx and Supra NA weighing in about slightly lighter while the 3kGT as well as Stealth are a bit heavier. I suppose the 300zx and Supra TT weighed the same but that can be attribued to their twin turbos while for the SVX it is from its AWD. The 3kGT VR4 had the best of both so thats why it weighed the most. And in 1994 a FWD SVX came out which weighed 200lbs less while they had a minimal trim AWD model that weighed 3430lbs. However with an addition of a tranny cooler and a rumor of actually tuning so its less agressive dropped the performance a smidge. Here (http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx.html#1992%20SVX) is a site where you get can most of the specifacations on this car. But parts for the car are expensive considering the SVX is actually quite rare, so if you want to save money with one it would be wise to buy aftermarket and suprisingly enough there is some. (http://store.yahoo.com/svx-motorsport-accessories/)

As for my impression of it, I as well as many others agree that it is wrong to compare it to the RX-7, Supra and even 300zx. When Subaru announced it as a decently priced "grand tourer" I think they were more emphisizing on the luxury or comfort and ease while driving fast rather than shere performance. In other words the SVX is a luxury coupe which compares more to the likes of the Lexus SC430, Ford Thunderbird and BMW 325is as well as a 3kGT SL. And based on my limited driving experience since I never took it to a track it handles quite nicely even though there is some very minor body role and like somebody else said it can feel a bit jerky when you do certain tight turning which might be great for quick lane changes and if you get a thrill from that sort but can be a bit nerve racking to others. But the SVX feels the best when you are going fast, there is no vibration aside from potential bumps in the road which go by as a quick thump. Also the engine has some grunt since with a lead foot you are pushed into the seat, not as much as an WRX STi but still a great amount for a Japanese NA car. However, where it really shines is in snow where it is probably one of the most composed cars when it comes to driving on roads with it. I even had the joy of doing a quarter of a donut which I quickly stopped with a quick flick of counter steer, my dad in the passenger seat didn't want me to go any further.

As for defects one of the most well known is the transmission overheating, this mostly affects 1992-93 models that lack the tranny cooler and it usually doesn't occur until the car has passed the 100k mile mark as well as it mostly being due to brisk driving, which unfortunately this car was sort of designed for. There is also mention of brake problems, but to contrary belief it is not from the disc warping but from uneven wear from the brake pads. This was the problem with my SVX when I first got it. It can be fixed by at least getting new brake pads and rebuilding the rotors. Aside from that the SVX is a very quality built vehicle. People have ridden the car past 200k miles without problem and aluminum outside has an annodized zinc coating in order to prevent rust, even though it can occur whever dents or even dings are. Also the interior of the car can be described as almost Jaguaresque, or at least in a classic sense, since alpustry is plush yet still retains sporty qualities, it even has climate controle. It also has a latch the conciels the radio and CD/tape player (if your SVX has that) and despite it being a coupe my friends actually find it very confortable in the back, ecspecially with the curved glass that gives the whole interior a very airy or open feeling. Trunk spaced is a bit limited though, but that is mostly due to it being shaped as a an upsidedown "T."

The SVX is car that some consider too sporty to be a luxury car yet not sporty enough to be a full fledge sports car. This from a car that came out in 1992 and coming from an unrecognized brand like Subaru that didn't do much to market it in the first and that is pretty much why it fell into obscurity. The best way I can explain the character of this vehicle is it is sort of like an AWD, less handling but gruntier eqivalent to the RX-8.

The thing is I have not driven my car as much as I like to so I can't really explain very or do not every aspect of how the SVX handles, there are others who know allot more.

Btw, perhaps other forgotten Subarus you can bring up can be the XT and RX.:lol2:

kman10587
01-05-2006, 12:57 AM
A manual transmission would have nice, but it was still a unique and well-made vehicle that was doomed to obscurity, because back then, Subarus just didn't cost as much as the SVX did. Nor was it accepted that Subarus were as sporty or luxurious as the SVX was. I think that if Subaru gave it another shot, now that they have cars like the Impreza WRX STi and Legacy 2.5 GT to showcase what they can do, it could be a success; but then again, the personal coupe market is not exactly a hot market anymore, with most of the would-be contenders ending up as either convertibles (SC430, Thunderbird) or four-doors (Charger, 300C). Hell, we're lucky that the latest Mustang didn't wind up being a sedan.

YukiHime
01-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Yea they are a bit heavy...230 or so HP out of a V6. FWD or AWD and auto only. Manged 60 in anywhere from 6.9 to 7.4.

Article from 97 about the car

http://www.subarusvx.com/articles/article1.html
It is a H6

And I think it looks real cool with that 2 part windows. But the down side is making the window's "openable" part so small. Also, it only comes with 4AT with no MT option unless you swap it yourself.

VAD0R
01-05-2006, 10:13 PM
I actually didn't find the split window too bad, it only became annoying when paying at a toll or maybe trying to pull a Wendys large softdrink in. And they actually did their job of keeping the rain out quite well, aside from droplets getting on the window's ledge which has a leather or some leather looking water resistant polymer over it so its alright.

Add your comment to this topic!