Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rough start up

Blkhrt51
01-04-2006, 02:28 PM
I have a 05 X limited and i alow the bulb light to go out and then start the vehicle. It still takes a little bit for it to start up. When i took it back to the dealership they told me that this in normal and will go away. Has anyone else had this problem before?

dougger222
01-06-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm guessing you live in the North?

When starting a diesel in the cold it will run rough until the fluids warm. It's very normal and will go away when Spring comes!

Blkhrt51
01-20-2006, 12:53 PM
No I live in Arizona and we dont have to cold weather that I hear so much about.

RahX
01-20-2006, 05:59 PM
when you say little bit, how long exactly? i would say anything up to about 5 seconds is pretty normal for a diesel. am i correct when i say that the power stroke has oil fire injection? you might try changing your oil sooner, might have some dirty oil messing with that system.

Blkhrt51
01-26-2006, 03:56 PM
I think it may be may security system, it takes longer than 5 seconds most of the time. I found that when I try and bypass the security system it starts right up.

yotermanic
04-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Does it run really, really rough and not have enough power to get out of its own way when it starts up? If so, it's probably the bane of the six liter...injectors. They're a pain in the rear to get to but the good news is most Ford dealers stock them by the dozen. Although, it might also be and EGR valve but usually those don't cause a rough start up, but smoke on accel. Anyhow, it's probably injectors, we've seen a million of them with plungers sticking when they're cold but when they warm up just a couple of minutes, five at the most, they run great. If this is the problem you're having, make sure your dealership is doing a power balance on their WDS before they tell you the concern is normal, if they're not and they do do one, they'll probably put a few injectors in it. By the way, if they do injectors, make them keep it over night and retest it in the morning, as the other injectors will flow more fuel to make up for the weak ones and will mask other bad injectors on the power balance, we called it the first and second group because it seemed like we always had to go back in and replace at least one injector after we got it to where it'd actually start and run willingly.

Add your comment to this topic!