Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How can I tell if I have ABS brakes/keyless entry?

dcleckler
01-03-2006, 10:32 PM
I recently bought a 2002 Tracker Fully Loaded (power everything). It was advertised as having ABS brakes but I'm not sure it does. Any easy way for me to tell, so I can get an insurance quote? Thanks guys.

Also, is there a way to tell if it has keyless entry (I didn't get remotes but the dealer said it should have keyless entry if I buy the remotes). Thanks again,

corning_d3
01-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Take it out on a open road, no traffic, and stomp the brakes...If the wheels lock-up, you have no ABS. If it's advertised, surely it's got ABS.

I figure it doesn't have keyless. They'll have to install the module and program the key fob's.

dgee
01-07-2006, 10:23 AM
look at the brake system if it looks simply like master cylinder and the line going down to a equlizer block and line from there going to each wheel then no but if the line from the master cylinder go to an equalizer then to a pump like block the you have abs or do what corning d3 say.
or when you turn on car see if an abs light comes on on the dash.
or email chevy and see if they can send you a list of what came in the car .

gkindub
01-09-2006, 11:25 AM
For keyless entry look at the RPO list in your glovebox for the code AUO.
Antilock brakes are very rare to find on these vehicles as most people that buy them are not willing to spend the extra bucks for it.

dcleckler
01-10-2006, 06:53 PM
AUO code? I looked in glove box and it has a sticker that shows the VIN, some other numbers and then a very long list, very long, of 3 characters like AU0, AU3, and on and on, for like maybe 50 numbers like that. Is that the keyless codes? If so, where could I get a cheap pair of keyless remotes for this model car?

Oh and on the ABS, under the hood there's the fluid holder attached to a big black round metal box, and going to the bottom of where the fluid goes in, are some wires coming out, like 2 or 3, going somewhere. I see no ABS on the dash when cranking, but yet Geico tells me that my VIN # tells them it does have ABS. I have my doubts. But I did slap on the brakes one time today when someone pulled in front of me and it seemed weird, like the back wheels bounced or something. It was odd, like hitting a bump or something for just a second. I have disc in the front and drums in the back.

gkindub
01-10-2006, 08:37 PM
dcleckler, go back to the RPO code list in the glove box and look for JM4. This is the code for antilock brakes. I hope you find this code-I have an 03 ZR2 and looked all over for antilock but could not find a single one w/ ABS. I love to have it when I can get it for peace of mind.
Regards, gb

corning_d3
01-10-2006, 09:11 PM
You'll know if the ABS is activated, you'll feel the pedal pulsing while your braking hard.

roel1990
03-08-2006, 05:32 PM
If you have power locks, you also have keyless entry, but not an alarm. This option was in a package with power locks.

jkconnelly
05-09-2006, 04:59 PM
If you have antilock the brakes will also make a funny springy sound as they are pulsing when hit hard. Slam them on in the rain and you should feel and hear it. I bought my wife's LT loaded and the ABS was an option. They had to dealer trade to find one with it...

Add your comment to this topic!