Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting Problem :( ideas?

gsr916
01-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Ok so when I turn the key to start my car, nothing happens. Actually, i hear a slight whine for a few seconds (not sure whether that is the fuel pump or the starter solenoid) but then nothing happens. About 10 seconds later the car will start. It isnt a sluggish start either, the battery seems fine (headlights are not dim, and clean connections on battery). Any ideas as to what this is?

Probably starter related, but any confirmations would be appreciated.

WReX
01-03-2006, 10:59 PM
does it crank for those 10 seconds its not turning over? is it cold where you are?

might be a spark plug/distributor issue, possibly a bad/going bad battery?

and i believe that noise your hearing is the fuel pump relay under the hood

gsr916
01-03-2006, 11:11 PM
The engine does not crank at all during those 10 seconds. When it finally does turn over, it turns over strong and starts right away. I would like to think it is not my plugs or distributor because all of that was replaced less than 10K miles ago. It is not too cold where i live, but the battery in the car is definitely not anywhere near being new lol. Seems to have juice still...

WReX
01-03-2006, 11:17 PM
i would try and hook your car up to another car with jumper cables and start it as if you were getting a jump and see if anything changes (preferably someone with a newer car or battery)

just an idea

gsr916
01-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Not too bad of an idea, I'm gonna try that tomorrow. If its not the batter though, think it could be the starter solenoid or even just the starter itself? I did start my car without having that ground wire from the valve cover to the frame connected one time, i doubt that is of any relevance though. but it started this problem after that.

WReX
01-04-2006, 11:17 PM
that may have something to do with this but if its connected now and problem persists then i would think it safe to say that its unrelated

if it is your starter assembly, i would suggest just replacing the whole thing, its more money but also more security on your cars life

but anyway, good luck with the issue

Add your comment to this topic!