Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New (To Me) V10 Owner

TurboDuck
01-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Hey all, I just stole (Almost literally) a '98 Dodge 2500, 4x4, Quad, V10 pickup. I'm pretty sure the Cats' are plugged on it. It idles OK, but misses and runs like crap until you stomp on it, then it'll snap your neck. A friend of mine was following me and said it was glowing red hot underneath. He said it was the muffler, but I noticed the Cats are right in front of the muffler. Sound right?

Also, any recomendations for mufflers? I'd like to go ahead and lose the Cats and be able hear it. But not overly loud......

Thanks in advance, Gary.

sandman96
01-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Hey all, I just stole (Almost literally) a '98 Dodge 2500, 4x4, Quad, V10 pickup. I'm pretty sure the Cats' are plugged on it. It idles OK, but misses and runs like crap until you stomp on it, then it'll snap your neck. A friend of mine was following me and said it was glowing red hot underneath. He said it was the muffler, but I noticed the Cats are right in front of the muffler. Sound right?

Also, any recomendations for mufflers? I'd like to go ahead and lose the Cats and be able hear it. But not overly loud......

Thanks in advance, Gary.

Sounds like plugged cats to me.

I've got dual flowmaster super 40's on my 94 5.2 with no cats. It sounds great and isn't near as loud inside the truck as it is outside. Once you get used to it you hardly notice the exhaust while driving around really, but everybody else sure notices it.

imtheoneandonlyD
01-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Im with sandman, sounds like plugged cats. Got any plans for performance? How much did it throw you back if you dont mind me asking?

TurboDuck
01-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Well, it's kind of a funny story.

A small dealer had it advertised for $6k, and my wife was in the area, so she stopped in and looked at it. While she was there they were trying to move it, and was having a lot of trouble. The guy at the lot had it in 4x4 low range, and it was jerking around. Then he procedded to tell my wife that we could probably buy it for a lot less. She got home that night and told me all this, so I figured it was at least worth checking out.

I went the next day and test drove it in the parking lot, sure enough it was struggling to move. After a liitle investigating, I discovered that the E-Brake was on, and the light on the dash didn't work. So, I parked it back where it was and agreed with the salesman that it had a lot of problems, and the most I'd go was $4k "out the door". Well he accepted it, so I paid him, released the E-Brake, and drove it home..... :-)

It's a '98 with 105k miles on it. V10 with 4:10 gears. It should pull our Gooseneck Horse trailer OK, once I get the bugs worked out of it.

It needs tires, shocks, and a better exhaust system. But everything else seems to be Ok.

-Gary-

BleedDodge
01-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Nice deal.

I'd leave it quiet. If you put loud exhaust on it you'll see what I mean.

TurboDuck
01-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I have an uncle that put dual straight pipes on his. (Behind the Cats.) It sounded like a pair of slant sixes.

I have a local exhaust shop that has a real good / quiet glasspack / turbo muffler. I may try a pair of those, with an "H" pipe to tie the two sides together.

I did remove the Cats last night and installed a pair of "test pipes" to the muffler. That didn't cure the problem, so I'll need to keep digging.

-Gary-

imtheoneandonlyD
01-05-2006, 12:25 AM
The whole exhaust thing i agree with. I dont like the sound of the 6s or 10s.....or 4s for that matter.

1thunder
01-06-2006, 07:29 PM
i would check the o2 sensors as the pcm ignores that signal on a wot accel but if you attempt to accel slowly the pcm uses this info for proper fuel delivery and may be adding too much fuel causing the red hot exhaust

TurboDuck
01-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks 1thunder. But wouldn't a bad o2 sensor at least throw a code?

The Cats were rattling, so we took them off, today I unhooked the muffler, so I've eliminated the exhaust as a prob.

With the muffler off, we were able to determine that the right bank is doing all the "missing". If that's the case with the o2 sensor, then that could be the culprit.

When you 1st start it, it's ok. If you run it for a few minutes, then load it with the brakes (in gear) and give it a little gas, it'll start missing real bad on the right bank. The left side stays real consistent.

We also put on a "different" set of wiires on the right side, with no improvement. I also sprayed some "stuff" around the base of the intake while it was missing, and nothing happened.

I'm thinking fuel pump / pressure, but it's odd that it's only the right bank.

-Gary-

TurboDuck
01-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Well, the saga continues.

I was just about to go out and get a new o2 sensor, when I got to thinking. (Scary...) Anyway, I figured if it was a bad one on the right side, if I switch them, the prob will go to the other side.

Pulled the right one out, and got to looking at the wires, and noticed the tag read "LT" on the connector. I checked the other side, and it said "RT" on it. So, I re-installed the o2 sensor, and switched the connectors. Now it runs great, but I have a "Check Engine" light. It'll probably tell me I have a bad o2 sensor. But at least it knows about it.

Now to do something about the exhaust.....

Thanks all.

-Gary-

1thunder
01-08-2006, 09:18 AM
sometimes the o2 sensors fail and do not meet the all the parameters to set a code and if you do replace the o2 sensors you must reset all the addaptive memories also disconnect the pcm connector fer about 15 minutes to reset addaptive memory battery disconnect doesn't always work or if you do a battery disconnect must be disconnected for at least 1 hour and still may not reset this way

TurboDuck
01-09-2006, 08:04 AM
That kinda makes sense 1thunder.

It's running great now, but has the "check engine" light on. I took it to Advanced Auto, and hooked up their scanner. It shows a temp. code of an o2 sensor, but it doesn't say which one. In their computer, they list different sensors for the left and right sides. That, and the fact that the two wires were reversed, is probably what really "confused" the pcm.

I'm going to take it over to a friend of mine that has a better scantool. Hopefully it'll tell me which o2 sensor is bad. I suspect it's the left one, since it had the right side wire connected to it, and the right bank was the side acting up.

I'll let everyone know.

Add your comment to this topic!